Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Photo Albums

They are a half-hearted nod to satisfy the unspoken mandate of childhood:

"Thou shalt preserve every memory no matter how insignificant on a four by six square and if you really love your kids in an expensively adorned the heavier the better album."

I have friends with gargantuan books that took hours upon hours of cutting, designing, and gluing to achieve. Special glue, special designs, and special scissors. When all is said and done, the book ends up being about 95% decor from Hobby Lobby and 5% actual photos.

Knowing my distaste for wasted space, I started smaller. Albums with the slidey-inny picture holders and a margin for writing details. If you set the bar low, it is easier to reach, ya know? I trudged through Toby's first year and managed to organize enough photos to account for every season and formally document the most important "firsts". Ughhh. Charlie on the other hand, is approaching his first birthday and the last pictures I officially preserved for him are of his hospital homecoming -- and my mother-in-law had to send them to me because I didn't take any myself. Double ughhh.

Today I had an epiphany. A mother who spends hours cutting and gluing and baubling up an album is probably doing it because it is an expression of herself that she enjoys sharing with her child. Her creativity and thought are scattered all over the book among the ornate papers and specially chosen snapshots. She is leaving a legacy to them that says you were known and you were loved.

I was thinking about a few of my friends that are further down the road, and the legacy they are leaving their children. The stuff that isn't forced out of them to check the box of societal expectation.

My Jen, and her ever-working mind that answers the cool questions to which most moms slap a stock response. Her children know why spider webs have different patterns and what is inside a robin's egg. They traipse around the neighborhood independently, "sciencing" whatever odd plant or insect they discover.

Jerri and her femininity, always knowing just the kind of things to plant in her daughters' hearts to show them they are lovely.

Keri, whose garage is home to more soccer balls than Brazil, spends her summer evenings kicking in the yard with her three kids and husband, laughing and smearing grass stains on joyfully dirty clothes.

Sundie, whose kids are living life with passionate adventure, climbing to the highest branches in the tree, the places most moms would forbid. Her children will never doubt their strength or her trust in them.

For me, I love thinking about my boys. I love reliving our experiences together in my mind and turning them over like precious stones. I love their presence, their smell, their cheeks, their toes.

Toby and Charlie, I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I hope you will understand why a thousand words is what I am leaving you. This is my legacy, a piece of my soul, and it is crafted with all of the care and thought that I have.

6 comments:

  1. So... what is your legacy? Don't comment without sharing it. I think it is especially important to recognize it in ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful. My (Our) legacy? Although I am sure I will change it as I grow the basis for it is that our girls be wholehearted to their Father. To know they have security, significance, and strenght in Christ. Which is what we aim for in giving them in our home (our fold so to speak) so when the time comes to release them into the world (when they are 30 LOL) they will know they have those things in Christ and allow themselves to rest in His fold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi, I have a wonderful photo legacy of you and Savanah, I think I have somewhere around 47 million photos (Some of them are actually in focus) inside of 4 large blue tubs. I think i have 14 or 15 ten year old unused photo albums laying on top of them. If I could write like you I would leave that as your legacy. But i can't so........... I better get busy stuffing out of focus photos in to stuck together pages in old photo albums. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my "photo album" will be that my home was an environment in which they felt the presence of God...one in which he showed up on our calendar regularly and we all knew it.

    Nope, there won't be photo albums on the coffee table or art projects tucked away in a box in the attic, but God willing, the lives of my boys will reflect His character because their momma loved Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope my kids love to laugh, learn and worship Christ!

    I too have the albums, but I think the last entry was 7 years ago. Right now my photo album is an external hard drive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post from a mom who is doing a great job loving her boys. My legacy will be the kettlebell. ha!
    Today I think it will be, imperfect love(the only kind I have to give) and compassion.

    ReplyDelete