Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thirty Years

It sounded like a long time twenty years ago. That was when my laugh lines showed only when I laughed.

Back when I knew, that at thirty, I would be rich and famous. A published author and former Olympic gymnast. Married to a... yuck. Not married. Boys made me barf.

It was a show my mom watched. Thirty Something? It was about old people.

It was older than my science teacher who still wore braces, but younger than my English teacher whose coiffed hair slumped over her forehead in an eerie black swoop. But not that much younger.

My dad's thirtieth inspired "Over The Hill" balloons from my mom. Because he was so old.

Thirty. A very long way into life when you are ten.

Today is my thirtieth birthday. Some of you crossed this bridge already and are now sailing sweetly into mid-life bliss. Others still dangle in the twenties wondering if your thighs will explode with cellulite once you are here. Either way, it is not the kind of number you float over unawares.

I thought it would feel lousy today, saying good-bye to the decade of searching and transition while a fog of predictability looms over my head. Instead, it is liberating. I know where I am going. My hallway once branched into a thousand open doors, each proposing its own adventure. Over the last ten years, I found the one I wanted and walked through.

In my twenties I finished college. I said "yes" to Greg. I got my first real job. I moved to a new state and started a new life. I got pregnant and gave birth to the single greatest boy in the universe. Then I did it again. My twenties were passionate, grievous, joyous, and humbling. I began them as a girl, and ended as a woman.

Thirty isn't what it used to be. Its better.

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Andi! I turn 30 in February and agree with everything you just said!! Have a wonderful day!
    love
    jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of 30's. I love it. I turn 38 in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you sweet friend!! You don't look a day over 21!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Andi, I hit that mark this past November. It is exciting. Enjoy the journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older you get the more you will realize how little you knew in your 20's! I'm close to 40 but am welcoming it. I'll trade wisdom for youth anyday! And by the way I have cellulite and it hasn't ruined my life (or my husbands!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday ange! 30 doesn't sound so bad. especially since i'm technically still 28 for another few weeks:) love you and hope you had a great day!
    becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy bday Andi! Man, i feel old!! the big quattro quattro here!! your next ten years will fly so hold on! every day is a blessing from God. take it in!! and thank you andi for blessing us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Andi! It's not as bad as we thought it would be, is it? :) Say hi to Greg and Todd for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I look as good as you when I am thirty!! Happy B-day! The older I get it only gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so nice to hear your feelings on this as my big 3-0 is coming up this fall. Where did the time go? Sometimes I stop and have this moment of panic where I'm like, "I'm married??!! I have a child??!! I am SO not old enough for that". I used to think the people I baby-sat for were SO OLD! Now I am the one calling the sitters. Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I did something wrong...it didn't post my last note! I saw your name on Cindy Bealls blog. Just wanted to say hi :) I'll venture to Argyle sometime and say hi to you and Natalie...my email is eshipley@watermark.org. Lets catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Late Birthday Andi!

    I love seeing how the Lord has brought you into yourself from your twenties to thirty! I hope that He reveals his plan for me the same. I know that He has a ministry just for me, it is awesome to wonder what it is now that I am finally open to seeing it! I cant help but wonder if it is with other moms going through a deployment so I started writing that book. I will have to have you weigh in on it as it progresses.

    I did know about Suzanne delivering Charlie! I had a sorority sister who delivered Max and it was so not weird at the time but every time I see her I am reminded that she has seen EVERYTHING possible. Haha.

    Max is snotty today too and is whining to type on the keyboard. I love keeping in touch!
    Always
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy late birthday! I'll be 38 at the end of this year. 30 was a GREAT year for me. (29? not so much... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed. 30s are better than we might imagine. And you, well-grounded & deeply connected, will be blessed.

    Happy (belated since I was on vacation) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday! 30s rock. And oh my goodness I hadn't thought about that show in forever. Those 30 year olds seemed like they were 50!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, I just posted using my son's account. Garrett was me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Late Birthday Andi!!

    It is hard to believe we are 30 now, when it seems like just yesterday we were 17 and on top of the world!! (At least we thought we were)! I think back to our days at Soul Quest and think "gosh, that's been 13-14 years ago!" Crazy isn't it? I remember when my dad turned 40 and now I think that is just 10 years away for me - wow. Hope your day was great and you love being 30...it's been kind to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Belated Birthday! I can remember the days of thinking 30 was old...and I am sure that many of those days were spent playing with you! :) Now that I have not only turned 30, but have entered into "my 30's", I realize that my concept of "old" was way off or I am much more immature than the 30...uh, well 31 year olds I used to know! Love you!
    P.S. will you send me your contact info to my email address? I would love to meet up with you sometime when I am in Grapevine. aprilhejl@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all the happy birthdays!! It was a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete