Friday, November 21, 2008

Locomotion Videos

My dear friend Jessica asked me recently if I knew of any good train videos for boys. I broke out into evil laughter because our DVD cabinet is like the Blockbuster of live locomotion. So, if you are in the market for some little boy *crack* here is a synopsis of Toby's favorites:

Real Trains For Kids
If you really hate yourself and sanity in general, you will want to buy the "Real Trains for Kids" videos. This genius took his Best Buy video recorder and parked it on tracks all over New Jersey. Hours of live train action. Literally, hours.

All About... [Fast Trains, Garbage and Recycling, Airplanes]
The "All About..." series is badly-acted and illogically-plotted, yet addictively entertaining to a three-year-old. They do contain a lot of information if you want your child to be well-versed in sanitation or railroad construction.

Mighty Machines: Diggers and Dozers
Last, the all-time most irritating video ever shot with a cam-corder and dubbed over with eye-gougingly good singing is "Mighty Machines". Each tractor in this video has its own character voice, brilliantly performed by the same guy. This is Toby's current favorite. You don't have to send me a sympathy card, because I already have a stack from my mother who purchased it.

Bonus: Charlie Trash Truck
Charlie Trash Truck was conceived by a pediatrician named "Dr. Jay" who started his own production company for this one video. The show contains live garbage truck footage with lots and lots and lots of factual snippets. It is the kind of cheesy production you get when education and entertainment mingle together. The video's salvation is an astonishingly svelte trash man named "Operator Tom".

This is my Christmas gift to all of you mothers of boys (sorry Sarah). Consider it an hour of free babysitting courtesy of the runningmama. En-joy.

7 comments:

  1. I decided on "illogically-plotted" instead of "eye-gougingly good". I'll go ahead and thank you now for your recommendations in case I don't feel like thanking you after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im going to have to visit these - my girls have some tomboyness you know! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one loves trains..... I'm so tired of Thomas so something new sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi, this is hilarious. I am googling all of these tomorrow. Definitely into cars and trucks over here.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have your email so I'm proud to say I ran 10:15 minute miles in the 8k race saturday! Yeah and it was in 22 degree weather and snow on the ground! I'm proud and sore! I"m on Facebook.... Tara Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're cracking me up!

    I can totally relate as our cabinet looks identical to yours, it seems. One video series that actually is really good that doesn't annoy me with realistic CAT machines and a young boy narrating is called I Love CAT Machines. There are 2 DVD's with 4 parts. They are the boys fave and Carson was practically raised on them - oh so sad. Anyways, I think they are produced by TM Books and Video. Great Christmas gifts, but you have to order them on-line.

    Also, thank you for your sweet thoughts, comments, and prayers for my dad. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garrett is 16 now, but the endless hours of watching Rescue 911 reruns seem like yesterday. And he never watched alone. He would gather all of his electronic emergency vehicles around the TV with him. Trust me...this too shall pass. After the fireman phase and the skate boarding stint, he's matured. Now it's Guitar Hero.

    ReplyDelete