Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Nights

I don't even clean up the supper dishes after we eat. One minute, our table is alive with the sounds of our voices: me cajoling Toby to lick a chunk of banana, Toby driving a tractor around his plate obliviously, Greg recounting his day or dreaming aloud about a car he wants to buy, and Charlie interjecting nonsensical babble with hearty ten-month-old conviction. The next minute, our spoons sit dejectedly in their bowls on a lonely puddle of taco soup while we dash outside to enjoy the only survivable portion of a Texas summer day.

I use "survivable" loosely due to the ravenous mosquito squadrons hunting and feasting on the blood of my innocent children. Since one bite has Toby swelling up like a bloated puffer fish it can be a real obstacle. Don't go all crazy commenting on Skin-So-Soft or Spring Fresh Off. Here in Texas, our mosquitoes are like super-powered biologically mutated versions of any insect deterred by a sweet-smelling non-carcinogen. We practically hose our kids off with deet before we send them out in the elements. (Okay not really so please don't actually do this.)

What I love about our summer nights are the subtleties, the inconsequential images that burn into my brain's very matter. Toby riding his trike barefoot down our sidewalk with his sweaty buzz-cut melon head flashing me a dimpled smile. Charlie crawling around the grass on only his hands and feet like a baby Spiderman. The neighborhood kids catching toads and insects while dripping Popsicle juice down the front of their t-shirts. These are the times when I know I am blessed. I sit next to Greg in a cheap folding chair and chat about life and hopes and love while we watch it all unfold under our noses.

When it is too dark to see, we gather up all the chairs, and toys, and Popsicle sticks and herd everyone into the house for a bath. We're sticky and red-cheeked, but peaceful.

If you told me at twenty-one the perfect evening started with a hasty soup dinner and ended in the tub scrubbing grass-stained toes I would have contested you vehemently.

But I what did I know?

10 comments:

  1. I love the way you write! You captured summer nights with a toddler beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true! Love how you captured it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the mosquito thing :)

    You are a gifted writer, thanks for blessing us by sharing it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grass-stained toes, huh?

    Right there with ya, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our perfect night changes so much after the babies. I can just imagine Toby's mischevious personality from your writing.

    Thanks for your comment on my MTSU post. Max is a terrible sleeper. The past two nights I havent heard him, kinda like you, not sure if he is really actually STTN FINALLY or what!

    Yesterday I woke up and the monitor was off, I have no idea if he screamed his head off and I didnt hear him or if he blessed this momma with some sleep! We shall see!

    Much Love
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  6. as for 21, you knew nothing !! got a couple of tjose here! great post. we, as empty nesters, sit on our back porch and watch dogs and hummingbirds and marvel at God's creation. God is good, whatever season you're in! we still need to get together...when we not enjoying those texas sunsets! did you see the full moon tonight? A MAY ZING! blessings.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are our nights except with bikes and 3 girls running in our street, Matt swinging his golf club and me taking it all in. And we do use deet, and off and it is as though the kids have bathe in it. So much so that there is often a remnant of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like our life here and I love every minute of it! Glad you are enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't read your posts anymore. I'm way too emotional about my baby starting pre-k, and bawl every time I think about her going to school. I love your writing, but it's tough for me to get through sometimes!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete