Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Garbage Man

His truck is a work of art. A gigantic, belching, rank, marvel of lever technology. It has a claw. An enormously frightening, squeaking, crunching claw. I am postively riveted. Fascinated, really.

I love the groaning engine, the hissing brakes, the smack of the bin against the hungry chomping mouth. I love the way it gobbles the trash like a gloriously ravenous beast.

I want to be a trash man. No, no that's not it. I want to be a trash truck. I wander the house all day with my arms cocked to one side, squeezing the life out of anything in my path before dumping it upside down. My bin of Lincoln Logs, my case of racecars, my baby brother... No NOT your brother my mom says quickly.

I hear it. I think I hear it. Hurry! Let's go to the driveway and watch. Get a chair, mom. Put Charlie in the stroller with a bottle. We can sit together and wait for him to come around the corner.

But I can't sit. I want to see. I am giggling and straining my eyes far down the street. Now here it comes. Janie's house. Todd's house. Mom, its here! Look it has our trash! Watch it lifting the blue bin into the air like an angry monster. I cannot contain my excitement!

The trash man waves at me as our trash can falls limply to the curb, happily empty, with its lid flopping open. The trash truck poofs out a smoggy snort from its rear and drives away. I watch it go. I watch until it is just a gentle rumble in the distance.

Trash truck, I love you.

15 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish that I we were closer...so that I could laugh at Toby's antics!

    Were you and Savanah ever that silly and determined? YEP! That is where he gets his personality for sure!
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi, I needed that this week. You remind me that I still have a baby in the house who delights in the beautiful simplicity of the trash truck. And a big sister who would do anything to make sure he is called to the window just in time to catch a glimpse. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not gonna lie, webcamming can be scandalous when your husband is in Iraq...No Lie.

    Haha!
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay....so I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I hardly ever read a blog the first time around and fall in love. Thank YOU for finding me, Andi. Yeah, I wish I lived closer too. But, Texas? =) I read what you wrote about the mosquitoes...no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking that should become a book!!! I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey - not back in for another 3 weeks. and the shower isn't till august 22 ... so i don't know quite yet what i need and don't need. i DO KNOW i need sleep and can't seem to find it anywhere ... any ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how having children makes you see the magic in the little things again! While aging you, they keep you young. I bet having boys is such a blast. You are an amazing writer and an even better Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are truly gifted in your writing! What a treasure you are creating for your boys and all the moms who are blessed by reading your entries. Keep reaching high girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like my house on a Thursday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I love how you turned it to Toby's point of view. Can't wait to meet your boys sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. as the only fella (it appears) to comment on this post (so far), may i weigh in for all of us suffering from the testosterone encumbered point of view?

    brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad to know I am not the only mom standing outside waving at the garbage man on a weekly basis. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this to my 15 year old Garrett...my musician...now he wants to write a song about I wanna be a trashman!

    ReplyDelete