Thursday, February 19, 2009

On Trial

I'm distracted by this. Without giving creepy Internet weirdos my exact address, let's just say it was nearby. Grief veils the village faces-- rescue workers, neighbors, parsonage, mothers-- all are affected. My friends and I mope around with sore lips from repeatedly kissing the warm cheeks of our babies.

Some things just won't fit in the mini-van. No one has answers. When fear and confusion spew from the town spicket, the church flips to it's default setting of "defense attorney," puking out arguments for God's infallibility. "Some important blessing will come out of this!" "All things work for good in those who fear Him!" "He has a plan!" "His ways are not our ways!" I hate the sound of it, us defending God as if he needs a publicist to clean up after Him. Yet here I am standing in my driveway fumbling through stock answers with terrified, doubtful mommies while we run our fingers through downy heads of precious, irreplaceable hair.

Yesterday I was thinking. (It happens.) We are stuck in the reality of peanut butter sandwiches, and cat litter, and coffee shops-- things requiring no faith at all to believe in. Now suddenly we have to answer, void of reason, void of warm-tingles, void of evidence: Do we believe God?

The bitter pill to swallow is that God's fallibility is not on trial. Only our faith is.

How will you answer?

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Andi! That is a powerful post! You always make me think deeper...and that is a good thing.

    I have always been turned off by the trite answers in God's "defense" when there is a tragedy. As one who has been quoted those infamous arguments, it leaves such a taste of insincerity in my mouth. Sometimes I just want people to be quiet with me and say, "I don't know."

    I am praying for this family and for all the people who have been touched by such a horrible loss.

    Thank you for your post. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. I haven't heard about this. Just terrible.

    I've always thought that God is big enough for our questions. Sometimes all I can think is "why God?" You're right, He doesn't need us to defend Him. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this my friend and the heart behind it even more. It's so tru. God is who He says He is and that's enough. Whether we understand "His ways" or doubt His goodness, He will continue to be Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End. So, in the face of uncertainty and in times that our faith is on trial, we do have a choice. We get to decide what we believe. And this may sound trite, but all of the answers to who He is are found on the gold-lined pages of His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. Great one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good stuff andi. i'm right there with you on this too. i've been shocked at some of the conversations i've overheard regarding this situation. sometimes, i just wish god gave me permission to go around and smack people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Andi. God's fallability is not on trial. So well spoken. Stories like this so make my heart ache.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's these moments where we have to ask for more faith and more strength to just be whoever God wants us to be in that moment, for that person. I guess my answer is "it's the unthinkable". All I know is God has pulled me kicking and screaming through my unthinkables and He has been palpable, real, and my only solace at times. His grace for the moment is amazing and for that i am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh mercy that is awful! I can't imagine! I only hope my faith could handle something like that. I would say that yes it will, but dude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to live in Corinth and have several friends who live in Argyle. I think my kids will be getting some extra snuggles tonight. That is tragic.

    ReplyDelete