Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tiredness

I have it lately. Maybe its my kids. Maybe its an immunization to caffeine from my increasing daily intake.

Maybe its five o' clock runs catching me in the middle of the day as I lay next to Toby looking at books before nap. I cheerfully narrate The Little Engine That Could, squeaking or bellowing each character's voice like good moms do. Then somehow, on our way up the mountain with all of the toys and cookies for the children of the village, Little Engine begins to chant I think I can I think I can until the words melt into a breathy slur.

This afternoon I made it through This Train, Freight Trains, and The Bear Detectives before my head lolled over onto Toby's choo-choo pillowcase muttering about "resting eyes". When Greg came home unannounced I felt like my hand was guiltily digging in the candy jar instead of rescuing the living room from Fisher-Price besiegement.

Staying home with my kids is the best thing I have ever done. But with all the tenderness and satisfaction I feel every time my lips rest on their puffy little cheeks, there is sometimes a haze of monotony draping its weary veil over me and threatening to suck it all back out. Everything I accomplish is methodically undone before I even acknowledge the success.

I fixed the boys lunch today. We stepped on the exasperatingly dull hamster wheel of meal selection. Our wheel only divides into thirds due to the most unadventurous palate God ever knitted in a mother's womb.

It is always the same. Always.

Should we have sandwiches? Nuggets? Fish Sticks? Fish sticks you say?... Great choice. I bake them. I blow on them. I plunk them in the big compartment of the Veggie Tales plate. I squish a sludgy dollop of ketchup into the smaller one. I chop up the tiniest piece of fruit and place it hopefully over Larry's green cucumber nose. Then I cut two fish sticks into a dozen and a half pieces for Charlie's high chair tray.

Today I offered Toby a trip to our prize box for eating the shard of peach.

He said, " I wanna go to the pwize box."
I said, "Eat your peach."
He said, "No."
I said, "Then no prize box."
He said "I wanna go to the pwize box."
I said, "Eat your peach."
He said, "I was talking to my chair." Then he walked around the kitchen saying "I want to go the pwize box" over and over to the patio door, the dog, the fridge.

He did not, however, eat the peach.

I thought about burying my head in the couch pillows. It is peaceful in there if you can ignore the grains of crunched up cheerio. I could catch a few winks while the boys whine and tug at my legs, and laundry goes sour in the washing machine, and chaos blows over our house in a dizzy wind.

I picked up the tiny shard of peach from Toby's abandoned plate and offered it to Charlie. He let me lay it right on his ever-loving tongue. Did he gag? Did he shudder? Did he grab his throat and drop to the floor? No, he did not. He flashed me a wide, toothless grin.

I made another latte.

7 comments:

  1. Hey everyone, sorry I waited so long to post. I am writing some peices for a writer's conference so I'm short on time. I plan to surf around this week and catch up to everyone again. Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've soooooooo missed your little tid bits of truth and wisdom! Glad you are back, at least for the moment!!! :)~~~Angela Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the running mama is in WRITING action!! I can not wait to see what the Lord has in store for my amazingly talented friend!! BTW, so with you on the tired feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bake them. I blow on them. I plunk them into a veggie tales plate. I am so there with you. Right down to the plunking and being tired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Lattes are from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I was so glad to see an update from you! I think I will be tired forever...maybe when they are all teenagers we will catch up on sleep!

    Love you!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT WRITERS CONFERENCE? So cool. I went to one in march that changed my life.

    btw, my toddler will not eat fruit either. =(

    ReplyDelete