Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Four

Its your birthday! Though I'm certain you remembered because I woke up to your giggling face two inches from my nose. "Am I four?" you asked. Little, little you with your hands clasped in expectation, and your stuffed Dalmatian, Samson, drooping over the crook of your arm.

Little four-year-old you with a furious brain casting its nets in every direction, catching and sorting the new of it all. "I am having a baby," you explain, "All you do is eat a people and then it pops out your tummy." Little you. Little practical, sensible you.

Practical like this: When you step on the new scale daddy bought for our bathroom. "I think I will measure my feet," you say. Measure your feet. Of course.

Little you, full of anguish, because we are all out of oatmeal cookies. Little you, exploding with glee because the diggers are moving the dirt on the lot down the street.

I am so proud of how you've grown. But when you stand in your big four-year-old bones and words burst from your mouth like bubbling candy, I just can't believe it. I still see the itty-bitty you that cried if I walked in the bathroom to pee.

Four years of you. The best four years of my life. Happy Birthday, little man.

11 comments:

  1. This is the post I wanted to have finished on January 12th, but its late. So happy BELATED birthday Toby. My dear sweet baby little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wiping away a tear. My once four year old is pushing near twelve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. precious and poignant! he's just a sweet litle man, he is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Toby Jo!! Beaufiful words momma for such a precious little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Toby! He is so big and handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Four is SOOOO better than 3. Mostly. :) Happy belated birthday Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and have spent the past 30 minutes reading various posts - and I LOVE them all! I especially love this one about your precious boy - and the one about your friend who paid for your groceries at Target! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah it's so fun to see all the changes in kids, I love every stage of my little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved it! Happy Birthday, Toby! The BIG FOUR! YAYYYYY!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a handsome little man and beautiful mama! I can't believe how big he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. made me burst out in tears! totally beautiful gift for your little guy.

    ReplyDelete