Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Olden Days

I wanted to record our boys on Christmas morning. I went shpelunking through the cabinet for an unused tape, but the three I found were from who-knows-when. I popped one in the camera to see if it had enough space left. What I saw made me wonder why I bother doing this to myself .

Toby was about six months old. We were in our big house, the one we custom built back when I was working. I was holding his hands and "walking" him on a clean, shiny floor. I was tan. I had cutely-styled hair. The couch in the background was new and still holding its shape. Greg was working the camera, making baby talk to get Toby to smile at him. It was insanely perfect.

The worst part was seeing my pajamas. The light blue ones I still wear all the time, because they are new. On the video they were not light blue, they were dark blue. Their spaghetti straps rested lightly on the beautiful shoulders of a fresh young mother, still glowing with promise. I barely recognized her.

I did the mental math. Greg bought me those pajamas on my first Mother's Day four years ago?? Has it been that long?? I looked around for something to prove it possible. Our couch, now disfigured from years as an indoor jungle gym slumped in the middle of the floor like a grumpy bag of potatoes. Our down-sized house looked not-so-fabulous, functionally surrounding a living room scattered with toys.

And me. No longer sparkling with fresh dew, but just... tired.

I reflected a moment, realizing that no price is too high for the two bundles of joy Greg and I have the honor of raising.

Not really. I hid the tapes and ran to the phone to make a hair appointment.

8 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much changes in such a short time! Enjoy that hair appt and invest in a HD Flip Video.....no more tapes. We love ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but check out your legs. Now hush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Real life begins with the second baby. I love that, Andi. And yes, a hair appointment will make you feel like a new woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi... you are BEAUTIFUL. Seeing you with those boys and Greg just makes you more so. I promise! I am so with you and your 'new pj's' though!!!! :) Oh.. and your hair is hotsy totsy! All ya need now is a date with what's his name! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never disappoint for a good smile or even a guffaw now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on! My thoughts EXACTLY on some days!
    Hope the hair comes out good - I need an appt, too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel you lady. Especially as I am waddling through my 7th month wondering how I will ever make it to March. Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, this is awesome! It sure makes me appreciate my mom more - when I was younger I was so busy judging all the stuff she did wrong that I didn't notice that (ahem) I was the one who had sucked away all of her energy. Now it's my turn... oh dear.

    ReplyDelete