Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blah

Oh, the loveliness of winter. And by lovely, I of course mean banishment to the lonely prison of our living room with just the bickeringly swell company of each other. It should be cozy. It was cozy in November. Now it is the guilt-inducing festival of Noggin. Want to watch Backyardigan's? Dora? Oswald? Sure! In fact, I'll make you a 100% carbohydrate lunch that you can eat right on the couch! You won't even have to be conscious! I'll poke the fish crackers through the gap in your teeth and you just keep breathing. In the music video version I link arms with my boys and sing "So Happy Together" but with Slash playing a menacing guitar rift in the background to symbolize the depravity of our existence.

Today was unseasonably warm so I marched Toby and Charlie outside with a rather unfriendly command to ENJOY THE FRESH AIR. (Fresh air that my germophobic self won't completely trust since the neighborhood is trading gastroenteritis like cups of sugar.) I thought the sunny pardon from our bleak indoor netherworld would motivate self-entertainment so I could veg out under the sun. It was quiet for all of one nanosecond before Toby became Socrates, pondering life's mysteries while flinging lumps of potting soil into the grass with a plastic shovel.

"Why are the Wonder Pets not too tough?" he asked.

"Toby, let's have five minutes of no talking starting right... now."

"Well, how do you grow small like a baby?"

"You don't. Everyone is growing bigger."

"But what about babies. How do you grow into a baby?"

"You don't grow into a baby, babies grow into big people."

His philosophizing was not slowed by Charlie who stomped unhappily around the driveway because his feet wouldn't reach the trike pedals.

There are days when Toby could contemplate the theme songs of the entire Nickelodeon network and I would find it endearing. Charlie could sulk and pout while spewing caveman expletives at over-sized riding toys everywhere! and I would stroke his head gently and smile.

But not today. It is winter and my sanity dangles from a skinny, burning thread. The sun shines unexpectedly in the blue January skies and I want to enjoy it. I need to.

9 comments:

  1. I am sorry if anyone tried to read this post earlier this morning. Greg started classes again so any attempts at writing are intermittently foiled by my darling, noted offspring. I hope this version makes more sense than the last, but I can't put hide and seek off anymore to rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite..."while spewing caveman expletives"!! Love it, love you! I am so ready for spring, too. The days of playing outside for hiurs in end seem like a distant memory and I am longing for the good 'ol days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah and "noted" was supposed to be "bored" above. Stupid iPhone autocorrecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'poke the fish crackers through the gap in your teeth' and 'caveman expletives' are the funniest things I have heard in a long time. Thank you for making me cry tears of laugher today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top paragraph sums up our day perfectly today! We had Noggin on all day and my boys never got out of their pajamas either!! It was definitely BLAH around our house. I felt like a terrible mom, but this weather makes me want to do NOTHING!! :) I just love your writing because it really hits home for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! you can sure make me laugh...=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! We all have those days... I remember once I just hired a babysitter and I went and sat on a park bench for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me laugh!! I've been there....

    ReplyDelete
  9. But they are so innocent and adorable and perfect.

    Right?

    RIGHT?

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete