Thursday, March 5, 2009

Before There Was Moo

I signed up for my first 5k because I wanted Kim Zmeskal's autograph. (It was the Edmond Classic-- do they still have that one?) I walked most of the course, and afterward I felt like someone shoved six Valium down my throat before dropping an anvil on my chest. I hadn't really trained because I didn't want to be an actual runner. I knew from high school track that running took a gene I didn't get.

Strangely, I fell in love with the whole race atmosphere. Races are easy to love. There are fresh, sporty people, free bagels, and this happy energy you can't explain. I signed up for another one right away.

ONE YEAR LATER I finally ran an entire 5k without walking. ONE YEAR. That has to be the slowest any runner has ever progressed. There are not any books on How To Run Your First 5k Within 12 Months, but why are we in such a hurry? If I were to write a running book I would call it How To Love Running and it would be a slow-paced, sweet book about relationships, silence, and God.

The next few posts are dedicated to my friends, who at various stages, are beginning their running journeys. But it is also for anyone who struggles. Running, just like life, is about doing what you think you can't. Maybe it will inspire you to run, but I hope it inspires you to persevere.

Jamie, Jen, Jessica, Michele, Tara, and of course, my Jerri. This is our story.

8 comments:

  1. Yea! I am so excited...can't wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thanks for linking my blog... I feel loved. I'm enjoying this journey. I really have some good talks with God on my runs that I can't imagine having if I weren't running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. since this is where I am exactly in my life this is going to be very exciting! I need all the inspiration I can get, I will probably be walking my first 5K, (I am the same one who posted in your last entry, I am training for my first 5K and I am almost 40) but I am glad that those of us who don't "have the gene" have hope. I ran 1/2 mile without stopping and let me tell you I don't know if I've ever been so proud of myself, it hurt, but I was proud. I will get there, but when I seem to feel like I'll just put it off a while longer God provides me with these stories, mostly from you. So from a total stranger, THANK-YOU, Isn't it amazing that we take so much of our time worrying about the ones that we know and sometimes end up touching ones we've never met? I have a small group of women at church and I am trying to inspire them to run/walk with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the slow paced part. That's my kind of 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to it. Barrett and I just started running last week. Hoping there will be inspiration, tips, and laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out friend! One of my favorite things about running is the depth of the relationships with my running buddies. When you are out for an hour or two with nothing but a friend and the road, level 10 connections are formed and I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so, its me.... your blog stalker! and i really loved this one! you are such a fun person!!! maybe one day... when i make it up to your mileage we could catch a run together!? week 2 is down---only 4 more to go until i will be able to run my first 5k....
    hugs,
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad I stumbled on to your blog tonight. I'm at the beginning of my running journey... and some of the things you said just struck a chord...

    I'm starting to run because it's something I've always told myself I can't do... and it's time to prove that wrong... and my mantra, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength".

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete