Monday, March 2, 2009

Moo

For all of you who prefer the "Running" to the "Mama"...

Saturday was the Cowtown Marathon, Ft. Worth's biggest running event each year. My running partner, Jerri, and I planned to run the half. Despite the ugly t-shirt with a huge flaming bull, the race is supremo. It is big enough to offer awesome perks (hand sanitizer at the Port-O-Pottys!), but small enough to cross the starting line before you need Geritol.

Jerri and I are race experts. We leave home with the EXACT amount of time needed to stop at Starbucks (Grande Mocha Latte TO GO!), park in a parking garage, pee, and check in our bag of junk for after the race. This has to be timed perfectly or you end up freezing your tushy off waiting for the gun, or worse yet, weaving through baby strollers to find your pace group.

The only snafu turned out to be our salvation. A big clog of runners was trying to work their way behind the starting line. Guards had gated off the area on both sides so you had to walk around to find your pace group. The crowd was so agitated that a merciful officer snuck a little opening in the partition to let a bunch of us through. GLORY!!!!!!

I have NEVER started at the very front of a race, but Saturday, we had no choice. There was no time to find our marker. We scooted over to the side and tried to look fast next to the line of very tall Kenyans.

We felt awful during the race. Everyone was passing us. The wind was blowing 20-30 miles an hour so it was impossible to feel comfortable. I was really grouchy because I realllllly wanted to break two hours this year and the Cowtown is already too hilly for a PR even on a windless day.

We barely even talked. We put our heads down and trucked along, stopping only briefly for a cup of Powerade now and then. And...

Just as I wanted to stop and crawl the rest of the way, we caught sight of the finish line. The clock read 1:58:47. Ya'll I looked at Jerri with pure adrenaline in my eyes and we SPRINTED the last tenth of a mile. There was no way we could be that close without closing the deal.

Final time: 1:59:43. Boooyah!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Please tell me you are talking about a 12k and not an entire marathon. I will throw this mouse through the window if you tell me it was the full, I swear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer you bring up a vey good point, which is CLARITY. I just fixed the opening paragraph so no one thinks I'm faster than Deena Kastor. That would be so cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You pressed on for the mark and you won the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA!!! You give me motivation to push myself farther and get to a 2 hour finish in the next year. So excited to be there to experience the excitement with you. Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go girl! I cant wait to get involved in stuff like this! You're inspiring! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You have inspired me to do my running today, even though the wind is 20-30. I was just talking myself out running before I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome, I am in "training" for a 5K and my neighbor and I jog/walk 2.6 miles in 50 minutes, I don't think a 2 hour half marathon is in my near future!! But thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You da woman! So I'm so frieked out about having to go to the bathroom during the 1/2 in may. What do you eat before race day? I need help.... facebook me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YA FREAKIN' HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go PR!

    That north wind arrested my steps miles 19-26.2. (I had to blog about it too!)

    ReplyDelete