Sunday, June 1, 2008

Running: A Relative Term

Like if you were a slug, a turtle might seem fast.

I am slow and steady too. I get up on running days and double knot my Mizunos with fervor, because how else should I? They don't know that I am no Deena Kastor, blazing a path through the dawn like a whitetail deer. I can lope along the road in the safety of darkness and enjoy the impartiality of it all.

Like if you were a bird, your church would be a hickory tree.

I worship here too. My sanctuary, a hilly stretch of road between grassy undulations of wild Texas fields. I see them when they are still sleepy, eyes blinking open, but not yet stretching and yawning to rise. Their breeze brushes me with onions, and hay, and maybe honeysuckle. Breathing and footfalls are the only song.

Like if you were a tractor, work would be your joy.

Mine is too. My back is wet with sweaty purpose. My legs are swollen with vigorous life. I push them hard, swiftly down the road and they lilt with pleasure. The labor of my breathing is a luxury, my joie de vivre.

When my run is over I stop to walk awhile. The pink dawn bends over the horizon and I drink it like water. This is what I love, my solace.

But it might just be me.

13 comments:

  1. Jerri, this is for you. Tales From the Running Mama was getting a little heavy on the "mama". En-joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just you, well the part about running at dawn is. Although as the summer heat begins to swell I might just be adjusting my schedule. There is just something about running, isn't there? Great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie -
    OK I am laughing out loud at your comment. I will say, getting up early is not as easy as it used to be! When do you want to run again? I am up for an evening run this week if you are. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just you! You know I'm no mornin' person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're a great writer! you probably hear that alot....but i'm enjoying reading. been all over the web looking at blogs...there are so many. i feel kinda silly that i started one but i'm having fun. God is good. now, off to wal-mart! and, btw, i AM a turtle..really! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not the only one !!!! Haha we had a good talk about this already but running is my secret love and I just started getting it back though its a little rusty. Its def the only thing that I will voluntarily get up for in the mornings...well that and work haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm no runner, but I'm a morning person---LOVE sitting outside early...it's quiet.

    Now, the garden is my worship spot. Sweat and all! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love running. Right now with Mat and travel it is confined to taking out the jogging stroller and letting the girls bike along side me. But it is still sweet. My favorite place to run is at the lake where it is just me and God. Out here where we live I could very well be hit by a gravel truck from 114 if I took the venture outside of the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wandered into your blog while tracking down a quote for a sermon of all things. This is the only post I've read so far... I'm supposed to be finishing a sermon, remember? As a runner-blogger-Christfollower myself I loved it. Thanks for sharing YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So last night, as I was browsing the "Christianity" section of Barnes and Noble I notice a book entitled "Running: The Sacred Act" and my mind immediately went to you and this post. This post is so good it almost makes me want to go run, but then I remember I hate running...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christy B-

    Please dont get hit by a truck. Ha that cracks me up.

    Christy W - I would love to read that book. I will be looking for it! Running is not as bad as its reputation. It is hard at first, but the rewrds are so wondeful and I dont just mean the physical ones. It is more than that. But like I said... Its all relative. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the kind words about "otherish." curious: where are you in TX? i'm a FtW boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your whole family is just beautiful! Running..I use to run - that was how I was so TINY! I am just SO tired these days! Lord, help me.
    I feel better when I get up early, but it is SO hard to do!

    ReplyDelete