Friday, June 6, 2008

Tyranny

It gets a little annoying.

I can't remember exchanging Toby's personality from pleasantly compliant charmer to compulsively opinionated dictator. Yet here I am with snot streaming down my nose while he separates individual sections of toilet paper into satisfactory squares. No, I won't hurry up, he says as his chubby fingers work to remove a rogue fragment that dangles from the perforated edge much like me to my composure.

I am feeding Charlie a bottle while actually holding him (for a change) and wiping my nose on my shirt sleeve to keep from dripping on his forehead. I just need a real tissue you little OCD Hitler I don't say as I blow my allergy ridden congestion into a Thumbelina sized hanky.

I take the boys walking around the block and Toby must push the stroller. And I must back up. Far away. No not there, over there. Yeah, right there in that grassy, scratchy plant. Stand there and don't think about taking the stroller back. Or collecting your dignity and committing to a well-planned insurgence.

Charlie takes to disdain when he and Toby crawl around on the floor together. Toby, who is curiously adept at assigning sinister motive to unmistakable babyishness, freely tattles and orders and "No's" him until Charlie defaults to some passively simple irritation to counterstrike (if that's possible). Mommy, Chah-wie is twying to take my twains away he says when Charlie playfully explores the bright colored wheels of a red and blue engine with his fingers. No Chah-wie! Charlie stares blankly at him and bangs the train on the table casually, just because.

I imagine him later in life sitting in therapy explaining the angry voice in his head shouting orders as he goes about his daily business sipping espresso or driving to work. No Chah-wie! That's MY mocha latte. Give it to me! Move, Chah-wie I get to dwive the car, its MY turn! he hears until he resigns into a dejected stupor.

At the sandbox we pack damp mounds into plastic molds forming a tractor, a bulldozer, a concrete truck. I relish these times, working together, building and talking, even the windy evening air blowing my hair into tangles. He admires our ingenuity fondly and I think to myself, this is the sweet baby I carried and nursed and snuggled and smooched. His doe eyes look up at me with a hint of wild excitement. Now can I cwash them Mommy? he says like any good tyrant, yellow spade already raised above the sandy masterpieces.

At least he asked.

11 comments:

  1. In every boy there is a warrior and a demolitionist (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU, ANDI, ARE AN AMAZING WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I love it!

    And you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I am laughing my head off. Ok since we got the whole home education thing going here at my house I am totally sending my kids to you to learn creative writing!!! Grammar, and correct pronounciation as well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you lived closer, we would so have to get together for coffee.

    I agree with Cindy - you're one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andi!! I found your blog through Rebekah's and am really enjoying reading about your sweet little family. I now have two little boys myself, so I totally know how you feel. :) I am glad you are doing so well.
    Love-
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say I'm really proud of you. In a place you wouldn't expect to see it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toby was anything but a tyrant yesterday!! I love watching our boys play together. They bring out the best in each other, just like good friends should. Tyler is already begging for more Toby time. I thank God for you and your boys daily Andi Hawkins. You are truly a God send in my life and I love you dearly! Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blogs make have me sharpening up my vocabulary....thanks! Your boys sound like my boys, wish we could get them together. I'd love to see them in action in person! Hey - where's David Barnes now? love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl...
    what's your email address? Mine is michaelannramer@yahoo.com

    Okay, crazy that he is a grandpa now - I take it they are Justin's? Amazing! I haven't talked to Sunny at all? Gena said that she ran into her a few months ago and that she too has a boy and a girl...she said that she hasn't changed a bit. I would love to know if she has a blog. Have you heard at all from her? What about anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to catch you before you left church, but I got the chance to watch Toby in CT kids this week. It was during their large group worship time and they were doing one of those fun, motion-filled, kid-friendly worship songs. Toby sweetly sung along, but glanced back at me a couple of times with his beautiful brown eyes. In them, I could almost hear him say, "This is no 'God of Heaven Come Down', but I guess it is alright."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christy W., I barely ever laugh out loud when I read a comment, but that just did it.

    Christy B. I can totally teach Creative Writing over the net. I am already doing it for a friend of mine. I mean, its just my love its not like I have some sort of qualifications or anything so I'm free of charge. Ha!! Email me and we can talk about it if you are serious.

    ReplyDelete