Friday, November 7, 2008

Couch Throwing

Its the kind of evening when the bits of nothing I did all day lump themselves together into one large energy-sucking wad and sit comfortably on my shoulders while I survey the toy explosion that is my living room floor.

I could get up and sort the tractors and race cars and trains into their beautifully irrelevant bins, but then the world's youngest defense attorney would follow me around to justify the mess in his customary whine and I am too tired to litigate. No, I feel more like collapsing to the floor on my back and tickling the boys as they run by to hopefully avoid an actual game of chase.

This part of our evening, between dinner and bed, I sometimes watch the clock like an employee waiting for the end of my shift. Greg is equally unmotivated and flips between ESPN and ESPN 2 to catch a glimpse of what? I don't know, maybe the famously chiseled super-athlete he would have rather been at forty. The crowd-cheering game highlights and chatty commentary makes it harder to ignore the vehicular debris and the hint of dog smell on our carpet.

Only half an hour more... I think at seven-thirty as if then I will be putting on my sexy jeans and some high heels for martinis with the girls instead of staying in this same position, in this same t-shirt recycled from yesterday, staring blankly at the football stats whizzing below the SportsCenter news desk.

Its not that I mind being with my boys, me with a hyper-awareness that every day is a brief and finite luxury. Its just after replying cheerfully to the quantillionth snot emergency and rhetorical "Do you know...?", even they are tired of my smilingly present face.

These kind of evenings have a way of surprising me. Like when Greg, out-of-nowhere, grabs Toby and throws him on the couch like a giggly bag of sand. When Charlie's knee-high bean-of-a-self rushes toward his dad with arms lifted high, begging for his turn, its then that all of those nose wipes and time-outs have measured value and bring me satisfaction. Suddenly we are the world's happiest family, laughing hysterically as throw after throw, the pleasure of being together sails through the air on a small delighted face.

If tomorrow doesn't bring us a bowlful of sunshine at least we'll know that today, we didn't miss this.

I can think of no greater achievement.

10 comments:

  1. you are my favorite writer.
    I smile every time I come here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well written. love your blog. always do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, my heart skips a beat when I see a new post of yours. It's amazing how God can turn things around with a baby barreling at your chest, or the laughter from a 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job capturing family life.... I too look at the clock close to bed time. Thanks I enjoyed your post today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW do I ever remember those days! The mundaneness, same ol', same ol' routineness of everyday life, the days when you think all of your brain cells have been sucked right out of your head and so on! We are always reminded that motherhood is a calling but it's also a study in survival skills!

    Tickle monster, bedtime prayers, warm little hands aroud your neck somehow have a way of making everything better, giving you the courage and strength to get up the next morning and do it all over again!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your a great writer girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally watch the clock for bedtime too...just when the whines start escalating though...right?

    Hope you had a great weekend up here! I wish we could have seen each other!! NEXT TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are you? Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, glad to hear it's not just me. I was having that mom guilt thing, but they are worth it, yes.

    ReplyDelete