Monday, November 17, 2008

A Weekend With the Crankertons

"Stop looking at me Charlie. Stop looking at me Charlie. Mommy make Charlie stop looking at meeeeeee."

"If you don't look at him, he won't look at you," I say as I flip down the visor mirror and make sure it is really me talking and not my mother.

"Say 'Stop it!' to Charlie. Why is he looking at me when I'm not looking at him?"

I turn up the volume on the stereo so the rhythmic "aha's" of Voulez Vous drown out the one-sided brawl from the backseat. Charlie's eyes are so dead-locked on Toby I wonder if he secretly understands Toby's complaint and is internally laughing.

"Charlie, stop looking at Toby," I say, just in case.

Before I have a chance to stop it -- and I would have given my right eye -- the final track of my ABBA 1 CD fades away and the changer dutifully ushers in the next disc. Back, Back, Back I push but it is too late and Boz the big green bear repeats "Here we..., Here we..., Here we..." until I finally give up and let him spit out the full "Here we go!" in his irritating jubilation. Toby forgets Charlie's death stare to cheer for Boz, the big fat Christian version of Barney and for a moment I think I might prefer the whining.

Soon it doesn't matter because I can think of nothing but the stomach bug floating through pre-school again and if I remembered to put hand sanitizer on the boys before they ate the animal crackers in my friend Jenn's office. I can almost hear the triumph of the crittery virus making its way into the innards of my unsuspecting children because, I know I didn't remember and now we will all be barfing up a lung come tomorrow. And that makes me cranky.

But not as cranky as Charlie was later in the driveway, protesting the wretchedness of humanity because the front wheels of his riding fire truck were stuck in the grass. He waddled around me a few times with a squinched-up, moaning face before depositing his 2 foot self head first into the yard.

What is everybody's problem?

I could understand this better if we lived in a parched Ethiopian desert and relied on locust wings and cactus dew for survival, but we have no legitimate complaints. The hovering, nurturing parenting style I credit for their neatly trimmed nails and taste for yogurt smoothies is also responsible for the Bratty Crankertons that we have all become.

When it is time for bed, I briskly yank the oversized t-shirt over Toby's head. "Mommy, can we sleep in the living room again? I like sleeping in there with you."

We had a couch camp out weeks ago when he had the flu. What made him recall a night of puking into bath towels as a chummy slumber party I can't fathom. I squish his chubby cheeks in my hands and smooch him. "Toby, we sure did have fun, didn't we?"

And isn't that the beauty of family? Looking back on all these times, good or bad, and remembering only that you were loved.

12 comments:

  1. i miss those insane moments! i have no idea who boz is but my kids still think someone is looking at tem!! there's a bug rounding? note to self- avoid germs wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical.
    Stop.looking.at.me. Are you kidding?! I'm so sick of that demand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love sibling rivalry! It's always funny after the fact, not during. I enjoyed your little blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids oddly always have fond memories of being sick too...must be all the attention they get. I don't blame them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, all caught up. Love your flare! You are so great and funny and, well, real. The avoided game of chase is my fav. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a great momma! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! i love that. we've had some campouts recently, yes we have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the good news is---i haven't heard of anyone getting sick from our animal crackers---i hope it stays that way, Greg came by and grabbed a handful this morning!!! love you too and thanks for the link love---you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As everyone knows, we are a camping family! The long drives out to Yellowstone were filled with all of those same kinds of whinings! The "He's touching me" were the worst. Bub would stick his finger out and ALMOST touch Laura, but technically, he wasn't touching her! Oh man! It was great when we got the more recent van (can't say newer since we drive our vehicles into the ground). It has a TV with separate headphones, a CD player all in the back and Dave & I had our own music in the front. Ahhh...I could just turn up my music and drown out the chaos coming from the back!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andi; I have enjoyed reading your blog for the past year or so. You have had many profound insights on children/parents and raising them!! I especially enjoyed this post!
    I don't know if you have heard anything yet about the writing you submitted...mmm some monthes ago I think...but I hope you do!! You DO have talent!!! Kathryn E. (friend of Amy P)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read this one...don't know how I missed it. Anyway, laughed about the puking into bath towels...we do the same trick when Bella gets the pukes.

    ReplyDelete