Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Missing

Sunday morning I sat in church like my usual self, distracted by the people around me. I wondered what I was doing there. I thought about the yucky feeling that follows me around and keeps me from praying. I thought about it until it was with me and I felt bad.

I have been a Christian for a long time. I have been a Christian at church camp and chorused the togetherness songs and spilled my guts and cried and hugged. I have been a Christian in college and fought against legalism! and quenching the spirit! and hypocrisy! I memorized scripture and highlighted and underlined and studied three translations. I was a Christian and I felt good and I served and I was a Christian and I felt bad and I confessed. I was a Christian who rejoiced at birth and I was a Christian who mourned at death. I worshipped when worship meant "singing", then I worshipped when worship meant "living for God everyday". I was a Christian in a pew, I was a Christian on an old couch, and I was a Christian in a snazzy stadium seat.

Now I am tired of being a Christian.

People are hurting so bad around me and it is killing me. Being a Christian is not enough. They have heard it all before.

What is missing, and I mean this, is Christ.

6 comments:

  1. Yes!! Yesterday I met William Paul Young, author of The Shack, and though he said many things that encouraged and challenged me, the one that comes to mind is this:

    People ask him if he's a Christian, and he replies, "Well, tell me what you mean by that, and I'll tell you if I'm one of those." He remarked that the words "Bible", "Christian", and "Church" have hurt a lot of people.

    I think what our friends, neighbors, co-workers, people at the grocery store need is not necessarily another "Christian" in their lives, but the one and only CHRIST!

    Keep up the good work! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good thoughts! I agree with what Michelle said...people need Christ! I think we all need "to encourage one another daily" Heb 3:13. Not just our "Christian friends" but all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a post. I agree, and think it sad that what turns most people away from Christ are Christians. (Sounds like a DC Talk song, right?) What to do, what to do. It's a hard and fine line to be in the world but not of the world. You know?I am working on this exact conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who gave you permission to be inside my head today? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate getting all pulled away with the busyness of life, I miss Christ.

    Thanks Andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. um...you are Christ speaking to me through this post... c.o.n.v.i.c.t.i.o.n.

    ReplyDelete