Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Boys and Girls

I didn't miss the finer points of Anatomy in eleventh grade. How could I have known that physiology is only the leafy display of a towering, deeply rooted tree? What I saw in the lab, casually dissecting a formaldehyde-soaked cat cadaver while smoothing the pleats on my cheerleading skirt, were just symbols that shroud a deeper truth.

Its me and him. And we are the same because he is three and I carried him not long ago, not long ago at all. I knew there would be a day that he suddenly noticed, anatomically speaking. A moment when I shrugged my shoulders and admitted with a lump in my throat that he'd probably known for awhile. I imagined an awkwardly encoded conversation regarding the important "parts". He would be old, you know, years from now when I am ready to let him go. Years from now. Instead, I realized that boys and girls are different long before "parts" have any relevance and letting him go is happening now, in a slow frenzy that I will never be ready for.

Since school started, there has been Ava. She captivated him with her brown-eyed beauty. He mentions her freely while talking about storybook time or music class. His teacher stopped me the other day to tell me all about their chase game on the playground (which I found positively un-funny).

I decided to ask him about her. Tell me about Ava, I said. His eyes gleamed and it hurt me a little. He told me about sitting beside her at chapel, and asking her to be his friend. He told me about the toys they play with in class and what they make in art. He narrated conversations and pointed out the matching color of her hair in a picture book nearby. He told me about the rescuers. The game where Ava is in trouble and he saves her day. Mommy I save Ava, he said, like I am Fireman Sam.

His hands are chubby and he hasn't grown into his wide sparkling eyes, but he already feels the desire of a man's heart to be the hero. You are not a man! I want to say. You are my little boy! That is how I want it to stay. Let's go play trains, because I want you to need me forever. Years from now, we will talk about grown-up things and then you can go search for your princess and save her day.

Years from now.

Later we sit together in the big chair because it is storming outside and he is scared. "You are my favorite girl, mommy" he says with his head on my shoulder. I can smell his head smell. I kiss it slowly, and wonder how something can fill you with so much pleasure and pain at the same time.

Toby, what a man you will be.

(Years from now.)

13 comments:

  1. This hurt my heart just to read it. Little boys should stay little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I want my boy and girl to stay little forever also...

    If only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOHHHHH Andi my heart hurts with you!! Taking Connor to High School everyday rips my guts out. I know life comes at us but WHY do our kids have to grow up sooooo fast?? Thankfully the boys will lay with me and watch TV or let me read to them. I am sooooo intentional about being IN the moment!!!!! They grow WAY TOO fast!!~~
    Angela Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either you need to stop writing or I need to stop reading. This crushed me and melted me all at the same time. Guess that happens to us moms. Especially us moms of boys.

    Love you, sweet Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully written Andi! Toby is so blessed to have YOU as his mom, his favorite girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl!! I can just hear sweet Toby talking about his new friend. He is going to be such a little charmer. But you will be his favorite girl for a LONG time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an incredible man he will be...and the right girl will know that it is because his mom is incredible too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust me when I say they grow up way too fast! My Charlie turns 18 on Monday (13th) and I know in my heart that no girl will ever be good enough for him! I am exaggerating I know, but that is certainly how it feels! He is my baby and he'll always be my Bubbie!

    One day they are little boys and mommy is their whole world. The next thing you know they are in school and their teacher is the object of their affection. The next thing after that, it's some little girl in school that catches their eye. It's always something or someone...
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that hurt. Stuff like this kills me. We were watching a movie tonight and at the end the parents drop the daughter off at college and they are seeing flashbacks of her as a little girl...my eyes are still swollen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is hard for me to think about my little boys growing up. Logan always says his mommy is his favorite girl too! Which just melts my heart! :) We need to try and get our boys together sometime. As you can tell from our blog, Logan doesn't have many boy friends! It would be great to see you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always told you that the best part of my life is my time with you and Savanah and now you are experiencing it with your children. You may however reach a day when you want a girl to give you a ride in her car before Toby can ride with her! You will be willing to embarrass yourself to make sure he is safe with that girl!

    Life is good and God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wait until he is 15 and wants to have a girlfriend. I admit...I'm jealous. I want to be the only woman he will ever love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading that brought back so many memories of my precious Greg. I truly feel your pain & pleasure. Toby will be a fine man like his Dad and "many years from now" when Toby finds his princess, I bet she will be like his Mom.
    Love to all
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete