Thursday, October 16, 2008

What. Am. I. Doing.

It bothers me that we are out of dryer sheets but not enough to go to the store. I sent the boys off to school this morning in staticky clothes and hoped that Charlie wouldn't get sent home for his oozing, crusty eyeballs because I am really busy. Sort of. Two days ago I sent off my first query letter and now I am chained to my email inbox compulsively clicking "check mail" every nanosecond. The magazine has six weeks to respond. My finger is already tired.

And by respond I quote from their editorial guidelines: "Each article idea will receive the attention it deserves." Ouch. I feel sorry for my poor little query whimpering in cyberspace all alone.

I promise I will not junk up Tales From the Running Mama with the tragic epic of a wanna be writer, however, since a lot of you are going down this same road, I thought you might like a little update here and there. So, if you ever wondered what you are doing thinking your writing has actual monetary value, I know exactly how you feel. I am thirty years old now, and my seventh grade self I would kick me if I didn't try.

And trying is pretty exhilarating.

9 comments:

  1. Hey-

    You dont know me, but i found your blog from reading Toby's. I attend Cross Timbers and when i saw "running mama" that caught my eye. I too, am a Running Mama, and i had just wanted to ask you a question. I saw that you run around 5 or so (the same time i do) and was wondering what tips you have for running so early!! It is the BEST time for me to run, seeing that i have 2 little ones to take care of also, but i am SCARED running by myself that early. Right now i carry a huge flashlight so i can see (and use as a weapon if i had to) I live in a very safe subdivision, but it is so dark. Any ideas so i can feel a little safer??? Thanks!!-Lauri :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meeting other running mamas!!! I am fanatical about safety. I always run with a running partner if I leave my addition. We wear reflective arm bands (from Luke's Locker), a reflective belt (like highway workers wear) and carry these little blinky lights that they sell at Halloween for Trick or Treaters. I buy a bunch of them every year at Wal-Mart for like a dollar each. They strobe or hold a steady light if you need to see. NEVER run with headphones, run AGAINST traffic (so you see cars coming), and vary your route if you can. I also have a little belt with a zipper pocket that my RAZR fits into nicely...just in case. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I need to get up early to workout.. great ideas though. Hope you find out soon about your writing so you clicker finger doesn't fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad he didn't get kicked out of school for the crustiness. You cracked me up at my door this morning. "Hey do you see anything wrong with Charlie?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really exciting! And scary...keep us updated on what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the info!!! -Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am nervous and excited for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you had the nerve to actually send it in. I just keep looking at my "stack" and save myself the disappointment by writing my own rejection letter. ! your stuff is SO VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete