Friday, October 24, 2008

Inflatable Death

It bobs around on our neighbor's lawn with a gigantic axe and frightens my innocent children (and the dog). Behind it is an array of severed heads hanging from tree limbs and impaled on wooden posts, all draped in faux spider webs. It is irritatingly festive if you are a psychopathic serial killer.

Which I am not.

I have to sneak up behind the stupid thing and unplug the air pump before Toby will walk by. I encourage him to be brave while explaining how it is not a real person, just a blown-up Halloween decoration. But it doesn't seem fair. Reality is very elastic to him and I toss truth and illusion around in an ironically confusing jumble. This ugly, scary thing he can see is not real. The invisible, silent, elusive God is.

"God is bigger than those scary things," I say as I whisk he and Charlie past the skeletal hand reaching forth from its bloody grave. He looks at the grave skeptically and I know I failed the writer's highest calling: show, don't tell.

At night we say our prayers as he crawls into bed. "Where is God?" he says unphilosophically, as if asking for the nearest bathroom. "God is everywhere," I offer because I can't think of an unlousy answer. He sits up quickly and looks at his mattress in confusion. "Am I squishing him?" Excellent question.

No dear, mommy is.

I've been a Christian so long that I barf out illogical religious rhetoric when I don't know what to say. Which is a lot. Toby is bright for three and I can see doubt on his face. Maybe it is my own reflection. Inside, my heart longs for God-- the God who satisfies, the God I used to trust. But an inflatable Death looms in front of my eyes and I can't reach the plug.

My boys are precious and I want them to know a powerful, real Savior.

God, start with me.

10 comments:

  1. love this. love this.

    and i hate skeletons and icky things from people's trees in october. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you go from a freaky Halloween decoration to this amazes me. You are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God uses our children to get to our hearts, to in some ways bring out what really matters.

    BTW- I don't like explaining all the scary holiday garbage to my children either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi cousin. I wanted you to know I read your blog often. I miss you.

    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see another post from you. Keep it up, girl! You write what my heart wants to read. Much love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, you thought about writing for us at artbeat. Love to read your blog. You can submit your articles to submit@artbeatok.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto.... start with me.... I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete