Friday, August 8, 2008

My Son Is Not a Brat

Sometimes I find myself wandering around my life muttering this like a self-confidence mantra. Then I wonder, why, oh why is it necessary to tell yourself something is true every six minutes?

Self, don't answer that question.

Our good friends drop by just as Toby is waking up from nap. I hear him in his room grunting hung-over-and-starving-lion noises while we make distracted chatter in the doorway.

"I will get him up for you" the helpful husband-friend offers.

Actually, he is recovering from leprosy and a rare yet highly contagious strand of tuberculosis I should say before the man opens the protective barrier of Toby's door and unleashes the wild beast on the world.

"I don't know what's gotten into him. He never acts like this," I say with no conviction.

And then there are his "injuries". No real damage is required, but noise and flailing are non-negotiable. Even Charlie questions the necessity of this display. He watches Toby with a look that says why are you so weird? But Charlie will bleed all over the train table sans acknowledgement, so he isn't the best judge.

Toby's inspiration:
Sharing
His Brother
The word "no"
Dead batteries
Holes in socks
Thunder
Nap

Its not an exhaustive list. I mean, at the moment he is crying because his toast tore when he picked it up. Seriously.

I don't know how I turned a perfectly sublime infant into a yammering thespian. I'm sure it had to do with coddling, boo-boo kissing, and unflinching devotion. I can't really help myself.

Today I offer an apology to every mother I secretly blamed for her child's behavior. Moms, I exonerate you completely and hope you feel satisfaction knowing that I do, in fact, have an unruly pre-schooler, so your wish came true.

Those of you who have one too, the following is a list of excuses to deflect the angst of society. No one really believes them, but they are good one-liners to toss over your shoulder as you carry the screaming banshee to a private location.

He's running a fever (press cheek to forehead).
He missed lunch (dig in purse for crackers).
He's teething (only works early on)
Its nap time. (check watch regretfully)
He's one.
He's two.
He's three.

I could think up more but someones trains just derailed... any one else have an idea?

11 comments:

  1. I so already feel you girl! Max is quite "rambunctious" or "spirited" so when he starts a meltdown, freaks out at the horrid thought of a HIGH CHAIR or screams while refusing to sleep as his eyes droop in exhaustion I have just accepted it and tell people the truth. "He's tired, cranky and acting like a monster" His daycare teachers who are so in love with him are way more in denial than me..."No, he's precious" they reply, ok whatever! Have fun with precious all day, while I gratefully escape to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He didn't get much sleep last night because he was reading encyclopedias to himself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that all my children have been really good babies-6? It is now that they are entering the teenage journey do I find myself making excuses? I'll be happy to the list.....he is 13, he is 14, he is 15....all said with a nervous laugh. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious Andi!! My fav for Tyler is, he's just really strong-willed. Toby is a really good kid, one of the most obedient toddlers I've ever been around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool about the writer's conference. i went to mount hermon writer's conference in march this year and am going again next spring. a very cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, if I really had a girl she would probably refuse dance classes and insist on something like karate!

    We shall see...like in 5 years when I'm not too tired for #2! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Andi give me some one liners for teenage boys...... :)~~Angela Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to give you some advice, but my children are perfect...oh wait, I am confusing myself with that mother I wish I was...I think the best excuse I have ever heard was given to me by the parent of one of my former students. Did you know that allergies can cause 7 year old boys to pick up and throw little girls across the classroom? Yeah, me neither..Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "He hasn't pooped today" is what I found myself saying this weekend when the inlaws were here and my child would not let me out of his sight. As if not pooping could make him a total maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoy your blog. I smile all the time.

    I get picked on for having "perfect" kids so I'm useless to you. sorry

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this! i cannot tell you how you warm my heart! fear not young mom! if you have children like mine there are many more humiliating experienes ahead! memories..those teachers, that refree as he issue the yellow card, then the red...

    just laugh..control is an illusion. kiss the little man for me. he'll be in therapy 'cause you exposed him to the world...whatever!

    ReplyDelete