Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ripple Effects

Today I made our second grocery store trip of the pay period. Its the trip I detest because we are already out of everything, but can only buy the essentials without busting up our budget. I felt Dave Ramsey perched on my shoulder like Blackbeard's parrot eyeing my every selection. "Cubed cheese?," he chided. "CUBED CHEESE? Buy the 8 oz chunk and hack it up yourself, you lazy over-spender!" He carried on like this the whole time... it was terribly exhausting.

At the register I loaded up our stuff on the conveyor belt, keeping an item or two aside for emergency re-shelving in case I underestimated the total. A friend of mine got in line behind me and we chatted for a minute while we waited, though I was distracted by the increasing total on the register. When the checker finished I went for the scanner with my trusty debit card. Suddenly, I heard a "Wait, Don't run that!" from my friend. I looked up thinking I was mistakenly overcharged or something, but instead she gave the checker her card.

Girls, she bought my groceries. All of them.

"You don't have to do that!" I said, but I could see by her smile that it was a pleasure. I couldn't help it. I started crying right there in line at Super Target. THEN, the cashier started crying. I mean really, who goes to Super Target to be nice? I thanked my friend profusely and got all of our stuff in the car.

I was so stinkin' blessed, I had to call a few friends and tell them. Since I am usually complaining after I go to Super Target, it was a refreshing break for them. I dialed and talked all the way home. Here is the cool part: Everyone I told was inspired to do the same thing for someone else. I am getting chills just writing about it.

So, today, because of the overflow of love in one woman's heart, the ripple effects of blessing are as follows:

Me
My boys
Cashier
Greg
My mom
3 different friends (so far)
Unknown number of people who will soon be similarly blessed by those named above

And of course... you.

That is a huge return for a simple act of generosity. So, what could you do with $93.86?

19 comments:

  1. And yet I always wonder why I am surprised when God shows up and is true to His character and His word...

    That's a great display of His love for us.

    (And I do love a mini-me Dave sitting on my shoulder at the store!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying reading this story. Please tell your friend thank you for blessing my sister!! That is really encouraging. Pass it forward. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crying too! Thanks for sharing. God is good...he places sweet angels in our lives right when we need them the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!

    Pay it forward, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good gosh i am bawling!!!! I NEEDED to hear this TODAY!!! Thanks Andi!! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers today. I made it thru our FIRST day of High School!! hee hee i hope the 2nd day has less tears than the 1st!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl...what I get most out of this is that God blesses us when we are faithful to the things he has called us to!! So proud of you for listening to the mini-Dave on your shoulder, and thankful for your friend who has taught all of us a lesson about paying it forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing story - amazing story teller!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing this. so amazing how people are truly loving and giving.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! God is so good! He works in and through us in so many ways...what an incredible blessing!!! It is almost like His way of saying thank you for being faithful...and here's a little cream on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW--that is so awesome. What a great way to show a friend God's love! I can't wait to do that for someone--I love the idea. Thanks for sharing--love your blog!
    miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is amazing. I love your friend for showing Jesus to you. Oh, and the Dave Ramsey angel....girl that's funny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there!

    I am so glad you commented on my blog so that I could find yours:). You have such a sweet family...I would love to get together some time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That my friend, is so awesome! You should be proud of yourself, you always do a great job making sure you stick to the budget. Dave would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know me but I do read your blog. I am always inspired. Today at the grocery store a woman could not pay her bill. She had her granddaughter with her (she called her Nana). I started to get teary eyed and told the cashier that I would cover it, it was only 13 dollars. The lady kept saying "I just called and I should have $17" Now $13 is no bank buster, but I thought of you. The lady was touched and when she left she turned and said "May God Bless You" I've been there, but was inspired by your blog. Because of it, it was in my conscience mind, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have that dave ramsey angel too. I absolutley Love how God shows His stuff. I was just telling a friend today how I can't figure out why I try to generalize Him, As if: He can't be. He is just always more than we can ever expect

    ReplyDelete
  16. That made me smile...I just read it to the girls in the office, and everyone was blessed by your story...That is just AWESOME! God is so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What an amazing God. He always knows how to bless our lives when we least expect it. Thanks for sharing!
    Delaina

    ReplyDelete