Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Peach Fries


Not exactly Jessica Seinfeld, but who has the time to puree a gallon of steamed zucchini?

And... that's gross.

I sliced up the poor peach into unrecognizable strips. Sorry peach, you were beautiful the way you were, just inedible to a three-year-old. I stuck the strips in a plate compartment along side strawberry yogurt, because "dip" is half the battle.

I demonstrated.

"See! Mommy loves peach fries. Yum-yum!!" I overemphasized the deliciousness like the desperate idiot I have become.

He picked up the peach fry skeptically. He took a bite. He chewed as if it were a poop from the cat box. I smiled encouragingly, though inside I wanted to jam it down his picky little throat.

He winced. He whimpered. He pointed at the sink. I shook my head "no" and hoped he couldn't really muster up a barf.

Then... he swallowed it.

I. Am. Not. Kidding.

Peach fries. The ridiculously improved sequel of the peach.

14 comments:

  1. That is awesome!

    Max already spits out a number of foods, I keep praying he wont be a picky eater...if he turns out like Toby you may have to mentor me through toddlerhood!

    Love you!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, it's the small victories that make the best stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make all mothers proud.

    I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is so hard to understand and be patient with the "interesting" things our children do. Ellie won't eat anything unless it is on a plate and it really shouldn't be touching. sometimes i just want to scream, "I can put a handful of Cheerios on your tray with no plate you little weirdo!" But that would probably be wrong--right? Have a great party for Charlie this weekend and good luck with the fruit and veggies.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. i mean next weekend:)
    becca

    ReplyDelete
  6. His face is priceless Andi!! What a creative idea...Jessica Seinfeld's got nothin on you sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so funny. i agree that you are brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how Toby turned down real fries later b/c of his experience w/ peach fries! Hey - I actually have positive things to blog about now... no more crabby philosopher... if you are interested you can check out the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who's Jessica Seinfeld? Like Jerry's wife or something. I don't know stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie-

    Ha! I thought everyone knew Jessica Seinfeld after she was on Oprah. She wrote the Deceptively Delicious Cookbook where you hide the yucky food (e.g. spinach) in the good food (e.g. brownies). Just for you, I gave her a link. And yes, she is Jerry's wife. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh... The old turn it into a fry trick. I've used that myself with zucchini. You're already way ahead of the game realizing the importance of dipping sauce. It increases vegetable/fruit to mouth contact by 63.7 percent. He doesn't have a chance.
    Love you!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. How funny are you! I loved meeting you this weekend Andy! You are a JOY!!

    ReplyDelete