Monday, September 8, 2008

Lunch... Interrupted

I ate a ham and cheese panini in a little cafe on the edge of Southlake Town Center. I had already been to the doctor that morning and told it was not time, see you next week. My friend Jerri sat across from me making idle conversation while I pouted about my inhumane state of being. Every so often we paused so I could breathe in and out and adjust to the intermittent cramping in my belly, false labor rallying to mock my ginormous, bloated, blob of a self. When we finished, Jerri looked at me curiously before parting with an intuitive suggestion: go home and rest. I waved off this gross overreaction like any deliriously pregnant idiot.

Though the cafe was around the corner from my hospital, I drove the fifteen miles back home with Toby in the backseat. I called a couple of friends to nonchalantly ask labor questions -- but not because I thought I was in labor or anything. That would be really melodramatic. What I had was just a tightening around my middle every so often.

I was getting Toby down for nap when I suddenly doubled over in pain. It only lasted a few seconds, but it was very intense. I decided to call the doctor and Greg, just to be on the safe side. Greg flew home... the doctor, however, told me to call him in the morning if I still felt like something was happening. I sent Greg back to work and called my pregnant friend Jennifer to come over and sit with me. Greg protested, but I told him how labor lasts forever and I was not actually having it anyway. It was false labor.

Jennifer and I timed my contractions for almost two hours. They were getting worse, especially since it wasn't the real thing. We called the doctor back -- just to check in. He said it was no big deal until the contractions were six minutes apart for a complete hour. We cheerfully kept tabs on the clock and gabbed about how huge we were and how we would always remember the day we sat around my house keeping our cool when most pregnant women would have rushed off to the ER like dorks only to be sent right back home. Hahaha.

I went ahead and called my mom and dad, you know, just to let them know I was not about to have a baby, just feeling some terrifically strong Braxton-Hicks. In fact, now that I have them on the phone I think I am going to let them talk to Jennifer for a few minutes... I am suddenly unable to stand. Actually, I can't even breathe without crying a little bit... is this typical of false labor?

It was at that point that Jennifer took over, God love her. She pulled a groggy Toby from his bed and whisked him next door to my friend Keri's house along with two diapers and an indefinite pick up time. She and Keri hoisted me into Jennifer's mini-van, which I assure you was no small feat. Jennifer talked to me, called Greg, drove, and timed contractions. I cried. I thought, what kind of person cries through Braxton-Hicks? How would I ever survive the real thing???

We stopped at the church where Jennifer intended to drop me off to my husband. Unfortunately, I could not get out of the van. Greg had to hop in the driver's seat with me and Jennifer followed in his car. It was 3:30.

At 3:50 we pulled into the hospital parking lot. Greg had been on the phone with the L and D floor to explain our situation and they had a nurse waiting for us in the circle drive. I was white knuckling the seat cushion and moaning like a wounded lion. As we pulled up, an innocent bystander inadvertently walked in front of the mini-van. I remember yelling out the window in my best Linda Blair for her to "MOVE"!!! Greg, however, recalls it with a bit more @$#%#& thrown in. You can pick.

My nurse, Suzy, whisked me up to a room in a wheelchair. She gave me a gown to put on which I unfortunately was never able to do. I got as far as undressing before a surge of pain prevented anything more. Suzy rushed in and helped me to the bed. I begged for my epidural. I screamed. I crawled around on the white sheets pleading for someone to cut the baby from my abdomen and put an end to this ridiculous formality. Somewhere in my delirium, a pack of medical professionals arrived to not save my day. Equipment was rushed into the room and this and that person were paged STAT.

My doctor explained that he could break my water and speed things along, but an epidural would never have time to work. I explained that it would work even if I had to gouge the needle into the center of my own brain. As if staged for a TV movie, my water broke with a loud pop. I started bawling, crouched on the hospital bed that looked like the background set for a horror movie. I guess he had pity on me and an anesthesiologist was allowed to give the epidural a try. She was wonderfully quick -- but not quick enough. At 4:20 pm, approximately one nanosecond after my epidural went in, Michael Charles was caught by the doctor with the gown I never had the joy of donning.

It was a miracle. The first baby to ever be born to a woman in false labor. Everyone walked around me like I was the Blessed Mother. Okay, not really. Everyone seemed pretty put out with me and my capacity for denial. Greg was utterly traumatized after witnessing a birth void of pain relief and dignity. My mother was somewhere between Oklahoma City and Ardmore missing the whole thing. Jennifer was relieved to not be scrubbing placenta out of her mini-van floor mats. I was the only one feeling quite dandy. I spared myself the anxiety of impending labor and even better... I never missed single meal. By 5:00 I was in a private room munching on a turkey sandwich.

Charlie, some day when you are old enough to read this without dying of embarrassment or gagging, I hope you know that you were worth every minute. I love you.

16 comments:

  1. I originally planned to post this on Charlie's birthday last week, but didn't have time to finish it until last night. So... happy first birthday Charlie! Thanks for the good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I remember Savanah saying that Charlie was out of there in minutes. Poor you...if I ever have to give birth without drugs I fear for the medical staff and my husband. Poor them.

    Love you!
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard this story from your mom and I swear it's traumatizing to hear! HOWEVER, I am cracking up with tears rolling down my cheeks this is so amusingly written. "srubbing placenta out of a van?" glad I wasn't drinking anything when I got to that part, it would have spit right out my nose.

    Very entertaining, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. geez, how quickly that year went, but a story for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are killin' me. I love your writing. Thank you for the pictures you paint.

    Even in false labor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. my.word that was funny! It's 12:13 am and I'm trying not to laugh out loud and wake up my hubs! Guuurrrl, you funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how i love your stories!!! :) i love this one even more b/c of what came from it ... manly, strong CHARLES!!! :)

    keep writing Ms. Andi ... & hope you have a BLAST this weekend at the writer's "party"! (SMILE)

    ps- aren't you proud of me ... i actually got online AND left a post!!!! WAHOOO!!!!! you're growing me up girlfriend!! :0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the sweet memories of baby Charlie entering the world. You will always be the strongest person I know! I love you and I wouldn't of cared to wash placenta out of my car!HEE HEE! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I didn't know whether to laugh or to allow my heart to race as I read. So I did both. I just love it. (I will have to admit, for some odd reason I thought was she prego the other day at starbucks when I saw her and I just completely missed it. (It could happen, me missing it and all) then it dawned on me.. Hilarious Andi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you don't pull any punches! This makes me very glad I do not have children. I am not strong enough. Although I will say, I have pulled a 4" tapeworm out of a dog's butt without flinching. I guess you pick your poison!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Andi! The life of one who isn't a drama queen. What a precious gift you have as a result of such terrible pain. Charlie, you ARE worth it and your momma is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember hearing this story before I really knew you and I pictured you as some kind of super hero. Now, after reading and going through labor-with an epidural-I realize, you are a super hero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh, it is just like you to not miss a meal! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that neither "MOVE!" nor "&#@$!" were the words you yelled, but "mmph hmmph!" because you had a PB sandwich in your mouth. Seriously, you were very brave that day, and I think you're as tough as they come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to take this moment to say, That I too, am glad Jennifer didn't have to "scrub placenta off her floormats". Placenta stains tend to hurt the resale value of mini vans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your labor story... you make it seem like a walk in the park... and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness - thank you for that! I was cracking up... and reading this about 6 weeks or so before #2 arrives is probably a good thing. I no longer believe in false labor - I will now just go to the hospital - I dont care what anyone says! I miss you so much Miss Andi!!!!! Please squeeze those beautiful boys for me!

    ReplyDelete