Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Writer's Conference

There were name tags. There were bagels. There were interestingly clad women with no make-up. My boys were at home with daddy. I was in heaven.

It lived up to the stereotypical conference in every possible way. When I arrived at the host church I could smell the coffee before I was even ten feet from the propped open double doors. I checked in at the folding table and clipped my plastic coated name tag onto my shirt. Andi Hawkins, Texas. This was going to be good.

Everyone is happy to be at a conference on the first morning. Not me though. I was ecstatic. For two whole days I planned to live it up. I was going to network, you know like business people do. I spent days deciding what to wear. I settled on a cream colored sweater with a jean skirt. Dressy for a woman who lives in t-shirts and capri sweatpants covered with snot smears. I wanted to break out my cute shoes to match, but turns out "cute" is just another way to say "torturous". Believe me, some of the attire I witnessed at this conference took all attention from the comfy flip-flops I chose instead. There was a puff sleeve and lacy collar here and there, odd hats, and faded knits with those little bally things clinging all over the fabric. There is no clear explanation for this except that writing is a very introspective career that doesn't pay very well, hence, clothing is merely functional. Call me crazy, but it seemed to add to the mystique. I cannot express to you how much I love these people.

I met a woman right off the bat from my hometown and we became instant friends. Christy I know you are hating me for mentioning you after my fashion analysis, but I am only working chronologically here. You looked great, girl. Christy and I spent many hours this weekend bonding and talking about blogging. She has an amazing story and a gift for encouraging others with her writing. She also has a fabulous website and plans to add a blog soon. Show her some love when you get the chance.

I went to classes all day. Writing basics, query letter writing, formatting manuscripts, personal experience articles, interviewing. I ate up every minute. I had a wonderful lunch with two friends and no one asked me to squirt ketchup or cut up their nuggets. It was refreshingly adult. I had that feeling from summer camp as a kid when you somehow forgot home and adopted a new reality. Almost.

At the end of the first night, the conference director planned to announce the winners of the writing contests. Entries were pre-submitted by attendees prior to the event. I submitted two things: a version of my post "The Garbage Man" rewritten as a children's book, and my post "Running: A Relative Term" as a poem. I didn't want to feel nervous. That would mean I thought I could win and I didn't. But I was nervous. This place was filled with people who knew what they were doing. I felt like a wannabe trailing the popular girls after school.

The director climbed to the stage with a stack of certificates. The winners would also earn fifty dollars cash and a signed copy of the new book Eyewitness. I wanted to win.

He introduced the children's book category. I gulped. I tried to appear casual. And...

















I won.
What do ya think of that?

I walked up on stage to get my award and the director read a line from the book to the whole group. I was so stinkin' proud I cried when I got back to my seat. It was unbelievable.

So, if you see me out in public anytime soon and I am wearing ten year old sandals and tapered knit pants you will know why. This world I loved as a child and lost somehow along the way, is calling me back again. I can't wait.

17 comments:

  1. This does not surprise me AT ALL! You are an amazingly talented writer.

    And I'm having coffee with Christy this morning! How cool is that?

    We'll talk good things about you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Andi, that is wonderful. So what does that mean for you book? Will they help you get it published or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGosh! I am so excited for you. And a tad bit envious of your conference. And SUPER HAPPY THAT YOU WON!

    Too freakin cool. Since you are like an award winning author now I have to send you a copy of the start of Military Mommy so you can edit and critique it with your award winning eyeballs.

    Muah! Love
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you too! You are such a great writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No there is no publishing contract from the conference win, just inspiration to stay the course. It does help my writing resume to have an actual credential, however small. I am working on a personal experience article right now about my labor experience. I would love to sell it and get my first real byline!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ang, very nice. Way to step out there. I've wanted to go to that conference but always chicken out on it. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "There were name tags. There were bagels. There were interestingly clad women with no make-up." Oh my goodness - you are so stinkin' funny! Congratulations, but I am not surprised in the least!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEY...Christy teaches the womens bible study that I attend at Victory. I love her! Too crazy how so many people are connected through this blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEA!!! I am so proud of my you my friend...although not surprised in the least. I just can't wait to see your book in the kids section at Barnes & Nobles. Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still in awe about getting to meet you and then Cindy too. God is so amazing to hook me up with you! I was so proud to be sitting next to you when you won. And you ARE teaching a blogging class next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That, my friend, is SO cool! I am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. way to go ange!! i read your piece on ruby's story and i LOVED it too! amazing gift. keep it up.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT!!! So fun! You are a super writer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats girl! I'm not surprised either but so thankful that you can be proud of yourself now! You deserve it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice. We'd love to have you write with us. You don't have to query, just send in the article. We're a bunch of artists just wanting to encourage artists. Send to submit@artbeatok.com. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete