Monday, September 22, 2008

Yesterday... Unedited

This is not for the faint of heart.

Or coffee lovers.



I was talking to a friend and trying to balance the stroller that had tipped over by the donut table. Charlie dunked his hand in my cup of coffee. I didn't even see him do it.

When he started screaming, the entire church was congregated in the lobby staring while I held his contorted, thrashing, panicked self. His hand was swelling and turning red.

Don't freak out I said to me as I freaked out.

I took Charlie to the bathroom and ran cold water over his hand. He screamed louder. I took him back out to the lobby and asked Greg to go for ice.

He brought back one cube. Someone else handed me a bowl filled with ice water. Other people started handing me odd items they found that might help, but nothing would calm him.

We should take him home. Greg and I grabbed our stuff and headed to the car. I knew he would calm down once we were away from the mass of people. But he didn't. And his fingers were molting.

I started crying because it was my coffee, my negligence, and my fault. Greg is frustrated because he can't fix it. We snap at each other and debate what to do. Charlie screams and Toby keeps talking about trains as if the world is not tumbling into anarchy.

Our church is nowhere near a hospital, but we commit to an ER and take off on a terrible ride.

Charlie is outside of himself with anguish. I can't hold him in the car so I gently rub his cheek even though he keeps pushing my arm away while he waves his hurt hand around and beats it on his own face.

At the hospital, Greg lets me out at the ER doors and I am greeted by a stoic front desk worker. Maybe she was trying to impress me with her de-sensitization to calamity. I was not impressed. She didn't say a single word as I fumbled around the desk for the sign in sheet, crying, and holding my baby whose finger skin was dangling around his knuckles.

I hate you I don't say when I hand the form over the counter.

We wait. Charlie is hysterical. No one reacts but us. Greg goes for ice in the vending area and the front desk lady shrugs her shoulders when we ask how long.

I hate you I don't say again, but Greg does. She goes to the back and when she comes out a person is with her to collect Charlie. She threatens to call security on Greg who is tearing out his hair with frustration. The lady takes her time showing us to a room and I wish she would prove her point in some other way because my baby is hurting so bad.

They give Charlie a shot of morphine and after a few minutes his sobs melt into sniffs, and then he is out. He had been crying for two hours.

We need to transfer him to Parkland, the doctor says.

Really. He's pretty burned, huh? That's what we were thinking during the infinity wait when my sons shrieking had to compete with the crickets in your lobby.

They call an ambulance for me and Charlie and Greg takes Toby home. He will meet up with us after he finds a sitter. Neither of us has our phone so we say a wary good-bye.

At Parkland we are greeted by a sixteen-year-old resident who is skippity do about having a pediatric burn patient. He is so proud of his medical knowledge and experience and he explains how cleaning the burn will be very painful, but luckily Charlie will not remember it.

Oh that is lucky, Doogie, I say while I think I hate you in my mind. Thankfully the burn team arrives with a genuine, tender-hearted doctor and nurse who treat Charlie like a sweet baby boy and I am relieved.

They explain the burn care carefully, but nothing can prepare a mother for that kind of trauma. I wondered how many moms have restrained their child for a bigger burn than Charlie's. It broke my heart.

When they were done, they bandaged him up nicely and gave us instructions to change the wrap at home.

At 4:30, 8 hours after I left the house for church in the morning, we left Dallas and headed home.

Charlie slept the whole way.

Today he is fussy and groggy, but fine. He wants me to hold him when he is awake and I am glad that he needs me. He is going to recover with no problems at all, thanks to the wonder of modern medicine.

I, however, am permanently scarred.

22 comments:

  1. You're makin' me cry, Andi Hawkins.

    Please don't do that again.

    Wow. I want you to know that if I had been at that hospital with those ugly people, I would have opened up a can of German on them so fast....

    All for you, baby.

    Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was another mother who watched in horror as her son was in someone else's care. Something to do with his hands as well. Some were ambivalent, like the behind the counter lady, others had compassion, dad undoubtedly wanted to fix it. But mom. There's no one that cares like mom. No one that consoles like mom. No one that loves like mom. Yes, mom, it's your love that leaves you with the lie of fault, but ultimately that same love that heals your son's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi...I am SSSOOO sorry!! My heart is breaking for sweet Charlie, but even more so for you and Greg. Sorry I missed your call today. I'll call you in the morning!! Love you so much and I'm sorry for everything you had to endure this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate those people too, Andi. Praise God there are some competent, sensitive Drs. out there. Sweet Charlie, we are praying for you to heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think i can ban all coffee from church???? i am going with no but if you need someone to make a house call...I know a pretty good doctor. I am praying for you and your fam--and in case you wondered-you are an AWESOME momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weasie, are you going to start blogging??? Go ahead and make my day! (harharhar)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Charlie and Poor You...love you guys and still praying for swift and easy healing for your sweet baby.

    Love you
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you even imagine how Mary felt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andi - that is awful! I hate that happened to you and your sweet boy...how traumatic! I love the part about Greg being threatened with security! Way to go!! That is great, but yes, I am sure you are permanently scarred and still not fully recovered from it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i cried hearing it from you the first time & my heart just broke again just now ... UUUUGGGGHHHHH!!! i'm beyond sad that all this happened Andi!!!!! i'm also soooooo glad this place isn't "home"!!!!!!!!!! thank YOU FATHER!!!! gosh, i hope Charlie got some much needed rest today. that sad lil' face makes me want to cry some more. offer still stands to taking Toby for u ... please think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you guys. How is he doing? Madison and I are here reading this just heart broken for you and baby charlie. You are a yummy mommy by the way. Thank you for caring for anastyn on Sunday by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SWEET ANDI! I hate those people too! I love how Greg wasn't afraid to get the mean people riled up! GO GREG!
    I am so glad he is ok!
    Don't give up coffee! ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly how you feel. I had to hold Kade down when they were putting his stiches in. He screamed bloody murder and begged me to make them stop. It was the worst feeling I have ever felt and though he has long forgot I sitll wince at the thought. I will be praying for your mommy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey it's Emily Tilly...forgot my blogger log-in. Anyway, bless your heart! I know the trauma of having to hold your child in the midst of the complete chaos. I will tell you the story some time when I had to go through something like that with Bella when she was Charlie's age. For now I will say this- I kicked one of the nurses out of the room who couldn't stop from crying up and she almost seriously hurt my child. And no...I was not sorry. Feel for you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry Andi, and am so glad it's over. Wow, you were so strong when I saw you in the lobby, I wish I could've helped you guys out more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my. There is nothing worse than watching your child go through something like that. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in tears! I can't imagine his pain, or yours. We feel it all as moms, don't we? I will be praying for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I will pray for you and your family. I saw your blog off a friend of mine's (natalie). I liked the name of your blog so I clicked. Anyways... I added you to my prayer journal so even though I don't know you, you will be in my prayers for the next 13 months.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're thinking of you guys, Andi. We're just sick that this happened to your sweet baby.

    I'm glad that Greg didn't have to jack the security guy's jaw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my cow... poor guy. and your heart!!!!

    man oh man...

    ReplyDelete