Sunday, September 21, 2008

News On Charlie

I hope this sufficiently takes the place of a zillion phone calls and emails. Please forgive us for not calling you all individually.

This morning in the lobby after church I was holding a scalding hot cup of coffee in one hand and Charlie in the other. He was sitting on my forearm with his arm around my neck. Our stroller dumped over so I transferred the coffee to the hand on Charlie's side so I could set it back up. Before I realized it, Charlie had dunked his hand in the hot coffee. It took me a moment to see why he was screaming, so his hand was actually in the hot liquid for a couple of seconds.

He was inconsolable. We did the normal stuff: run it under cold water, set it in ice water. I decided to take him home to soothe and calm him, but in the parking lot Greg and I saw that the skin on his hand was peeling and blistered. We took him to Denton Presby instead. After a consultation with their ER doc, they sent Charlie and I via ambulance to Parkland. (This is a bigger hospital in Dallas that has a good burn unit.)

Charlie's burn was only second degree, but we learned that burns are more dangerous the more surface area they cover due to swelling. Since Charlie's burns surrounded his entire hand and fingers, it was a serious burn. Swelling can cut off circulation and threaten the health of the affected area.

At Parkland they cleaned his burns and medicated him heavily so he could sleep. It was a very painful process that I will not fully describe. I am thankful that we have access to modern medicine and that Charlie is young enough that he will not remember.

We just got home a little bit ago. He is in his bed still asleep, with a bandage the size of a boxing glove on his hand. We go back in a few days to have it cleaned again. Please pray that he has a speedy recovery and feels little pain.

I will write more soon. Love you all.

BTW my Facebook was hacked and now I cannot log on at all. If you post messages there I can't write back, but I do get them in email.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Andi, Savanah called me and gave me a quick rundown and told me to check your blog.

    I am so sorry, poor sweet Charlie. I will be praying swift and easy healing for your little boy. I know that he will be up and running in just a few days.

    Scary, scary. It's so hard to juggle everything but thank you. This is a good reminder for me to slow down and be extra careful.

    You are a great mama and will be his best nurse.
    Love,
    Jesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi! I am so sorry you had to go through that! It brings back memories about riding in the ambulance with Luke and RSV. It is a surreal experience you never think you will do!
    YEA! that Charlie will be ok! Keep us informed!
    And pack some kind of fire arm when you rerturn to Parkland! HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi - I am so sorry. That's so scary. We have had coffee incidences, too. Ours were just lukewarm, though. I'm sure his little skin will heal quickly.....we'll pray for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sister. Sadness! I will pray for quick healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andi, I am so sorry for all that your little guy (and you and Greg) went through today. We will definitely be praying for Charlie - praying for a speedy and full recover & that he wouldn't be in pain.

    If there's anything you need I would be glad to help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet baby Charlie and his awesome mama will be in my prayers. You both are so brave:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. Peace and healing be multiplied to Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. andi, sorry to hear that about baby charlie. the girls and i will say a prayer right now. love you guys.
    becca

    ReplyDelete