Thursday, May 22, 2008

Another Year Goes By

Toby's second year of preschool is over. It felt odd because, wasn't it just yesterday that he finished his first year? Charlie was still a little bean in my stomach making me nauseous and swollen and grouchy while I feigned excitement over the rented water slide that Toby WOULD NOT go down.

This year was the same, except Charlie was strapped into a baby carrier with a bottle propped in his mouth and Toby didn't require a swim diaper under his suit anymore.

A suit, I might add that was wholly unnecessary since Toby melts if any water touches his clothes or head. A sweet girl from his class splashed him playfully with a cup full so he serenaded the 50 foot periphery with heaving sobs complete with those little pauses of breath-holding as if we are all going to jump out of our lawn chairs and rescue his poor little wet self. Oh Toby, you got wet?? With that highly corrosive, painfully burning irritant that God covered 80% of the earth's surface with? Let me call a HazMat team to come and save you. Or how about I WIPE you off with a TOWEL...

I wasn't in the cajoling mood, so we opted out of the scary dragon bounce house station and killed time in the empty sanctuary which is entirely more amusing to him anyway. Playing on the stage is a fundamental right for any church staff kid. He ran up the steps to the stage and back down and all around the instruments and baptistery and sound booth. It was so funny watching his small body compete with the enormity of the huge auditorium. Even though his second year of preschool has come to an end, he still looked sufficiently babyish when his legs pitter-pattered across the wooden set like Fred Flintstone.

Tonight I chased him around the living room to steal some kisses and my hands found a tummy that was not babyish at all. It was thick and solid like a bag of sand. I grabbed his leg and it too had sprouted a chunk of muscle.

I pinned him down on his back and tickled him. You are not mommy's baby anymore Toby I said too sadly. His eyes twinkled with a glimpse of his future self, wise and intuitive. A lil' bit I am still mommy.

Toby, I am happy that you are growing into a big boy and that you can jump off the couch and make your brother laugh and even eat an apple without barfing. But it makes me smile to know that in a small way, you will miss being my baby too.

7 comments:

  1. I'm crying. I just feel your pain Andi as you helplessly watch them grow. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had that discussion with Madison the other day. (She turned 10 last week) WOW!! Embrace the moments, I was regretful that for the first 3 to 4 yrs of Madison life I didn't enjoy her. (I was 19 and had no clue what I was doing or how to parent) But that is a joyous clap to His faithfulness, because now there is no greater joy in my life than to be a wife to Matt and mommy to 3 girls!! See you wednesday (Finally)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray that there will be a piece of Tyler that will always be MY baby. As I sit here typing this post, he is absolutely acting like one as he throws a fit over a car that's "not wohking"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie that is the story of my life. A yelling tanturm over a car that's not "wohking" followed by the not so sweet commanding of a time out for the car. Pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post (as usual!) I think it is wonderful that your relationship with Toby is appropriate for his age... and that he understands it, too, since he said, "A little bit, mommy".

    In my own experience as a mother, a healthy parent/child relationship in a given stage 1) makes for few regrets later in life and 2) makes it easier for both mom and child to transition to the next stage.

    The stages are shorter in the early years and then get longer and longer... and from what people with grown grandchildren say, there will always be a next stage.

    You're so good at living the moment with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet!
    Water is overrated, Toby. Don't give into peer pressure. :)

    ReplyDelete