Monday, May 19, 2008

Dear Blog: I Miss You

I know it looks like I have abandoned my blog since I have not written anything in a week, but I can assure you that my heart is here if not my time. My life is looping around me, swirling and turning, and I feel like I can only catch my breath in brief moments and just enough to keep from turning a deep shade of blue.

It won't be long and I will not be sharing a computer. I cannot wait to write my posts during normal, wakeful hours instead of squeezing them in at midnight or five in the morning when Greg's computer is available. Until then, I will try to quell the sense of guilt and longing I feel every time I think of Tales From the Running Mama whimpering in cyberspace like a neglected puppy.

Since I don't have long I will have to save most of my thoughts for another day (soon I hope). I just want to bring up an interesting topic that seems to be jumping out at me from every turned corner. Its a little book called The Shack and though I have not finished it, I think it might be one of the most important works I have ever stayed up too late devouring.

This book covers the one topic that conceals my God in a terrifying shroud of painful mystery. In fact, after an experience two years ago with a dear friend, I might upgrade mystery to bitterness. How can God be present in a world full of horrible suffering, sin, and hate? If this question could settle in my mind, even on a tiny thread of truth, it would give me peace in my deepest places, the ones I push back during play group, or while I am vacuuming the floor, but that crawl into view in the quiet of night and haunt me like angry monsters.

My faith so far has been shaky at times, waffling at times, forgotten at times, and taken various shifts and turns down my long road. However, until recently, I never doubted God's goodness, power, or love for me. I suppose it is inevitable for any Christian to grapple through murk and mire and either drown in it or emerge closer to Him than before. Right now God still seems elusive to me: in one moment a refuge, in another, the source of my indignant scorn.

During my first few weeks on this blog I noticed a trend that bothered me: His noticeable absence in any of my writing. I cover my children like beautiful, cherub-like idols, the very embodiment of love that feels safe to me. But bringing Him up feels like cheapening the outpourings of my heart with feigned contrivances. How I got here, a girl who would have given her very life for Him a few years back and longed for heaven like water in a desert, I'll never fully understand. I guess it is easier to live with abandon when you have nothing to lose.

I don't want to sound hopeless. He is chasing me, this I am sure. I am walking the road, though limping and questioning and I believe that He is strong enough to tackle my doubt when I am not. I still love Him enough to stay the course and trust Him enough to be honest.

If I have learned anything about Him in nearly twenty years of relationship, I think that will be enough to pull me through.

12 comments:

  1. How grateful I am that He continues to chase us all...

    (Can't wait for your new computer!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many times as I read your posts, you put into words what I feel but cannot express. Thanks Andi.

    oh and I'm starting that book today so I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we're in similar places, although I've just come through mine, for the most part.

    I feel pregnant with expectation...expectation at what God wants to teach me.

    I pray He puts the same hope in you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your honesty Andi! I can not wait to see what God has in store for his precious daughter as you seek Him wholeheartedly. In the midst of our doubt, He shows up to make Himself known. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Andi, thank you so much for your honesty and heart. I have been there, my only advice ask the hard questions the ones you think I dare not ask Him that. He will not be offened. we will see that your heart is not one of yuck for Him but seeking Him and His answers. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so reassuring to know that I'm not alone. I feel so much like you sometimes, it's scary. I know we have to go through some valleys to reach the mountains....I just wish it didn't take so long sometimes. Wish you were closer - I would love to give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andi, I don't know you and you don't know me but I want you to know that I read your blogs and I see God. There was not a doubt to me that you are a believer. I believe being an honest wife and mother is God's work and you can see that through your writing. We all have different journey's that take us to the same place(throne of the lord) but for whatever reason we are meant to take different paths to get there. Embrace your life including your doubt, seek the answers that you need and most of all APPLY it to your life. Sometimes we walk around with all this knowledge (advice and instruction) about God and his promises but we seem to have a hard time applying it. I just felt compelled to let you know that I read your blogs because your honest and as a mom and a wife who often struggles, I appreciate that and don't feel alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl i just love your guts!!! I bought the book last night. LOVE IT!!!~~Angela Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff Andi. Maybe questions and doubts are more the norm. The bible seems to be full of men and women who sound like you and I and most of the people I know who are honest enough to share their heart.
    Thanks for the help last night with the blog. I needed one more little nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoooo... That is the sound of me exhaling a breath of relief. I am encouraged beyond words to hear that otehr people have felt like I feel right now. As a pastor's wife, you might say that this post was a little risky, but I am in search of truth, genuine and penetrating. If I don't ask Him for answers, He will be like an acquaintnace from workout class or the sweet lady working the register at the donut shop: just another person I smile at to appear cordial. How can I trust my boys to someone I only know like that? The stakes are too high.

    Cindy... I am glad to hear you are coming through. Any guidance you have for the rest of us is ALWAYS welcome.

    Christi...You give me courage.

    Gena...My eyes are stinging. I wish I could hug you and sit with you and shout out loud how NOT alone you are. I pray God blesses you hundredfold with trust and faith for all of the hard things you have faced. I wish I lived closer too.

    anonymous... The throne of the Lord, what a powerful assertion. I love it. It gives our destination tangible purpose. Thank you for your time to encourage me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Andi! I think so many times when we are in this type of situation we feel so alone and yet I can tell you I am right there with you. In my job I try to play the middle ground and not sway my kids, but give them the facts. Unfortunately I get so used to playing the middle that I have a hard time bringing God into my life at times when I know there is an opportunity. Thanks for making your struggle known so that others can know other women are walking a similar path.

    ReplyDelete