Sunday, May 25, 2008

Toby Gets Religion

The flu. A very long, feverful, snot-tacular, exhaustingly monotonous crater in our late winter bliss. It is the malefactor I now blame for my son's relentless presence beside me in Sunday morning service.

It started out as sober precaution. A desire to not relive eight straight days of isolation and nauseating amounts of Thomas and Friends. Just a temporary quarantine from church childcare, where influenza lives a life of germy luxury.

When spring arrived, I happily marched my boys back to the children's check-in area, ready to enjoy service by myself. I passed Charlie over the counter without incident. Toby, however, staged a frantic coup by disintegrating into a noisy puddle of anguish on the lobby floor. I should have scooped up the blubbering mess of him and poured it into the three year old room where it belonged. Instead, I offered him a glazed donut and implored a promise to whisper during the talking parts.

So, here I am in late May walking into the auditorium with my perpetual "pew" buddy flopping along behind me with his mouth crusted up from donut glaze.

I stand him up on a chair slightly behind me, our usual routine, and I join in the chorus of "God of Heaven Come Down" with everyone else. I glance back every now and then to make sure he is not engaging anyone behind us with silly faces or peek-abo like he has in the past. He flashes me an angelic grin as if he knows my motive.

When the communion tray goes by I let him help pass it along, but not before he spends the better part of a minute selecting the biggest cracker square for himself. Then I try to appear casual while my non-baptized, non-prayerful, heathen son defiles the very blood of Christ by jauntily drinking a cup of juice in three relishingly slow sips as if this were nothing more than a refreshment break. (For those of you who were sitting two rows back and throwing me scorn arrows from your offended, legalistic eyeballs just remember that I know it's inappropriate, but I am living by grace so that you can peacefully direct your thoughts to the Savior of the World without a soundtrack from my three year old son whom Jesus LOVES.)

Once communion is over Toby and I sit together, my arm around him, his legs straight out in front and only long enough for his two green flip-flops to hang over the seat edge on his chubby, wiggly feet. Toby do you know that we eat those crackers and drink that juice to think about Jesus? It's hard to hear over the loud music, but he looks at me when I talk and I hope in a tiny way he begins to see a bigger picture of why we come here every Sunday morning.

The band launches into "Nothing but the Blood" in a groovy remix that has everyone in the room on their feet and singing loudly. I sway and bounce to the catchy beat. Suddenly, my son, who has no understanding of abstract concepts like sin or sacrifice or redemption, raises one hand in the air, palm open in a gesture of worship, as if this were the most natural thing in the world to do. I try not to react because I want him to have this moment for himself, but I just can't stop all the heaven inside me from bursting open in colorfully radiant pleasure.

I know he is only a little boy, but someday, he may see things in his heart that he wishes weren't there. He may find himself lonely and afraid. I hope when that day comes, he'll know just what to do.

12 comments:

  1. BTW Jessica Rolf, this post is dedicated to you for noting that Toby's communion habit deserved a little narrative. En-joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi... You are such a gifted writer. I cried.

    I hope you're saving all this for those sweet boys someday!

    BTW -- IS THIS YOUR NEW COMPUTER?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not on my new computer quite yet, BUT my friend Jamie Mullins loaned me hers until mine is here. She is the sweetest, most giving person I know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...that makes me cry. I am so proud of how you are raising my grandchildren to love the Lord! You were always such a sweet child that loved to go to Church and sing the church songs even when you were too young to understand. I think you understood only that it was important to be there and somehow you felt a peace while there. I love seeing you with your kids and creating the foundation for them that you have. Thank you, Andi for being such a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of little Toby! I can just see that sweet hand lifted toward his Lord and Savior...even if he does not realize he needs a Savior quite yet. His heart is so pure Andi. You are doing an amazing job raising him!! Feel no guilt about taking him to "big church"! He is learning about true worship. Tyler loves to go and watch Casey sing, and my prayer is that he will catch a glimpse of what all of the fun music is really about! Can't wait to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Andi
    I Just love the pure worship of a child. There was an extended season where our girls came to big church with us. I loved it. Loved watching them worship. When we go through the doors of church we don't always have to go our seperate ways, if that is the case it could end up very much like home for many people. Can't wait to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this post deserves a link on the church website! I love it! We can all learn a lesson from Toby like how to freely praise or how to savor communion with three sips instead of rushing through it! Precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I hope people around you and Toby were touched by what he did. A child's innocence and purity can truly speak volumes. Thanks for your great words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am finally getting caught back up on all your blog entries. I have been without a computer for almost a week now due to our move. I love this! At what point did we all stop seeing God through a child's eyes and how in the world can we find our way back to that place of pure, innocent love?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love it when they worship!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog. I just linked to you on mine.kinda cool, huh? it's fun!

    ReplyDelete