Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Gift

When I was seventeen I went to Honduras during Spring Break. Our group flew from Oklahoma City to Houston, then took an International flight to Tegucigalpa, the Honduran capital city. From there we drove hours to a small town in the foothills. We drove hours more in All Terrain Vehicles up twisty, bumpy, wet mountain roads. Then finally, we rode horses to a remote village. Our traveling took days. I have never felt so far away from home.

Our first night in the mountains I was carsick, homesick and full of anxiety over our primitive surroundings. When it got dark, I felt a cloud of doom hover over me as my friends and I walked outside the spider-infested structure where we planned to "sleep".

I suppose it is the irony of the universe, the funny way that ugliness and beauty contrast in the same place and make each other more vivid. Over the grass-roofed huts, and the stench of roaming pigs was a sky so bright it seemed to move with life of its own. A million, no a gazillion speckles spread like a field over us, blinking, shooting, smiling. I have never seen so many stars. I could have read a book underneath their light. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Its the only time I have seen a sky like that. So, thank you God for showing me your vastness and sovereignty, and the veil of love you drape over humanity, even in the wildest, remotest corners.

Thanks, Kim.

4 comments:

  1. Your memory is so vivid, Andi. That is the perfect portrait. I miss my mind being so uncluttered, and life being as simple and pure as when we were in Honduras. Demuth hitting every doorway, Jeff and Jonathan ganging up on everyone. Thanks for bringing tears to my eyes with that memory. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post, I felt like I was in Honduras looking at the stars. Your writing is so descriptive it always gives me vicarious moments of living your experiences. I remember being very afraid when you were there, it was the first time you were so far away that I couldn’t rescue you if you needed me. But it was also a lesson for me, I had to leave you in God’s hands and remember that he can take care of you in ways that I can only dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gena-- I thought of Jeff, Jonathan, and Adam too. I wish it wasn't so bittersweet. It makes me ache. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm, a perfectly perfect gift! Love stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete