Monday, December 22, 2008

Landfills

All I want to do is clean the [stupid] floors because they are covered with torn up bits of toilet paper [and dog hair] that two chubby hands are pushing around with a yellow bulldozer.

"Toby, please clean up this mess!"

Toby is outraged. "It is NOT a mess, it is a landfill!" but I do not see the justification his tone implies, because Charlie has trash bits stuck to his upper-lip snot and that is where I DRAW THE LINE!

"I will not throw the trash away [while you are looking]. I will put it in the special place [where I keep the preschool projects made with popcorn kernels]," I say, but he isn't listening anymore because Charlie is pushing the bulldozer out of the living room and throwing a taunting giggle over his shoulder.

Sometimes I wonder what it is like for Greg at work every day doing his job without anyone trying to stop him. I imagine him sitting at a quiet desk checking off items on his "to -do" list with a sharpie. How quaintly productive.

I have to squeeze all the cleaning into one episode of Oswald or I might as well not bother.

I might as well not bother anyway because I have two little boys and this is just life.

A dirty, snotty, cluttered life.

But a good one.

5 comments:

  1. How funny.. :) My 30 minute marathon cleaning was Dora the explorer and the dinner prep time was dragon tails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand!! You are a wonderful mom, remember after the boys are grown you have the rest of your life to work.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking me up girl! I know how utterly crazy it is...especially when you NEED for the house to be clean to feel sane. But, somehow, in the midst of the clutter, there is SO much JOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha... we didn't have landfills when Madi & Ethan were little, but we did have pieces and parts of all kinds of toys laying about. Madi's idea of playing was taking a toy apart piece by piece to see how it worked or see what it was made of. Her loving relatives bought her dolls and little mechanical snow globes and battery-operated toys. Let's just say that if toys could have a horror flick, "Come and Play with Madi" would have been a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The key is the last line. It is a good one. I just had to go back to work at the beginning of the month after having two years home with my boys. Yes, there were times I "dreamed" of going to a quiet office to work while my snotty nosed boys taunted me with their messes, but now my heart hurts that I don't get to spend that time with them anymore. Enjoy your time with them. I know you do. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete