Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Togetheritis

It's Christmas break at Preschool. Greg is off work. Its even too cold for the dog to go out for very long. We are having ourselves some real family time. Lots of good 'ole family time.

Its the kind of family time where you loop the Baby Einstein video during every wakeful moment to keep from having a bored, snotting, toddler dangling from your shin while you clean out the fridge. Where a pouting, whiny three-year-old inspires the next round of "What do you want to do today?" from Greg and I that ends with me making the boys nuggets for lunch (again) and Greg playing some shooting game on his iphone to hopefully kill another half hour.

We have ripped down the Christmas lights, spontaneously caulked all the window casings, cut the boys hair, played out all the Christmas toys, cleaned out our closet, and swept the garage. All that is left is the obligatory lolling around on the carpet annoying each other to keep from actually dying of under-stimulation.

Today, after Charlie threw two platefuls of food on the kitchen tile and encored with thirty minutes of writhing anguish, I finally said it. "Greg, I am tired of being with us. I have togetheritis."

"I think we have 'Doing-nothing-together-itis'" he points out while opening yet another sleeve of Ritz crackers.

We need help. I am one Mighty Machines Video away from "All work and no play makes Andi a dull boy."

To quote Cindy: "I'm just sayin'."

9 comments:

  1. Andi, that's funny. I like the line about the obligatory lolling around on the carpet. That just made me laugh out loud. I just sent the kids with Erick for an hour so I could vacuum the house alone. I'm a new woman. And now I'm going to roll around on my carpet by MYSELF. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, my husband is off for 2 wks and I look forward to going to running errands just to get out of the house. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo with you! I've had togetheritis, too - BAD! :)
    Get stimulated!
    Go for a run!
    Hope you get a fixer soon...
    then again, sometimes life's just like that...
    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness. I have SO been there, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had such nice weather this break. (not to rub it in, promise) And I am looking forward to today and tomorrow being unseasonably warm. That translates to all the kids OUTSIDE. Glory to God. My house may just stay picked up for more than 5 min. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you called it togetheritis and then Greg called it doing-nothing-togetheritis. Hahaha. I must be dull because I didn't get the joke at the end. You'll have to explain it to me...

    ReplyDelete