Sunday, December 14, 2008

William Runs The White Rock

I don't post about running very often because most of my friends would rather gouge a stick into their eye than cover any distance on foot, but every so often I feel it necessary to justify my blog title.

I almost didn't get into the race because I procrastinated and they sold out of bib numbers. Me, Jerri, and Jamie had to scrounge for an entry. Thankfully someone in my kettlebells class wasn't going to use his and gave it to me. [Thanks, Bill] So, this morning I ran The White Rock Half as a 42-year-old male from Flower Mound who wore purple shorts and raisenberry lipstick.

There were 17,000 runners lined up at American Airlines Center for the start. Crowds give me germ anxiety and it was really hard to avoid sharing air. No matter what direction I turned my head I could smell breath and it made me want to gag. I had to quit worrying about it at mile four when my running partner accidentally sprayed me with a wayward loogie, so thanks, Jerri, I guess.

I don't want this blog post to sound like a training journal so here are the highlights of the Dallas White Rock Half:

-Gun goes off [Don't worry it was planned]
-Five minutes later we cross the starting line
-Five minutes after that we stop to pee because the lines at the starting line were so friggin long
-Slight altercation with the girl who cut in front of me at the port o potty
-Thirty minutes later we pass the one and only person to yell my real name on the course [Thanks Blake] and not be cheering for William.
-Jerri and I run out of stuff to talk about and revert to our ipods [she=Van Halen, me=Beyonce]
-We blaze across the finish line seconds from the Kenyan superstars. [Okay, they ran the full, but whatever]

So, that's it. My first half since I got preggers with dear Toby five years ago. 2:06:50... Could have been worse.

[Oh yeah Kim... your aprons ROCK]

15 comments:

  1. So glad to be there yesterday!! What an emotional race, for me!! I for one, think you did an amazing job William!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! I love to hear about running... you should be proud. I liked your little story telling with the gun and porto potties. YOu go girl with a great time for 13 miles.
    Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok call me stupid! Why were you a 42 year old man names William, b/c you took Bill's bib? :) Can you so tell I don't run marathons! HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW it was me Jennifer that asked that question! HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different races do bibs diferently, but the White Rock is a classy one... Not only does each bib have your name in BIG BOLD LETTERS (so the crowd can cheer you on!), but your age, sex, and address are printed in smaller type at the bottom. So I literally had WILLIAM written across my chest the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story and congrats on a great time! I just wish I was a 42 year old male with purple shorts and raisenberry lipstick running a half-marathon (or anything really), instead of being a 50 something women sitting on her duff eating chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andi, that is so funny. I can just see the name William written on your bib as you are running. Congratulations. And I don't hate running stories- I love them! 5 K is my limit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe if I started running like you I'd get your legs.

    Hey, a girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are hilarious!! ... I didn't know raisenberry lipstick was Bill's color, too. I bet he only needs powder when he wears it, too. Way to go! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who ran the WR half and said the wind was NUTS! I am going to start training for the Memorial(half) Marathon in OKC next month. Ok, training starts in 2 weeks, but for my mental health, I'm sticking with next month.

    Personally, I would like to hear a LITTLE more about your running. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so proud that you wore your Rainsenberry lipstick to the marathon! That was the best part for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I loved this post! Congrats on your half! I have yet to run a half..I really want too, though...long story! That portapotty girl got what she deserved...ha-ha!
    How often do you train and how much at a time? I'm planning on getting preggo again soon so I really can't go all gung ho like i want to. Someday, I plan on doing just that...I cant' get preggo when I am running too much. For some reason, I have to be a little more chubby - just my body! I still run and exercise...I just don't do AS much as if I wasn't thinking about conceiving... thanks for your comment on my blog, by the way! I sure appreciated it! It's fun to see comments and know that you're not just talking to the wind, ya' know?
    Good to know you! I wil be following your blog!
    Angela from Vancouver, WA
    Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. way to go.

    i know what you mean about most people rather gouging their eyes than running! hee hee.

    ran 5 this morning in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! I'd love to hear a little more about the toilet brawl, myself...oh, and are those your legs up there in your title? Cause I don't want to hate you, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

    ReplyDelete